What does your vet charge for a standard exotics exam?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine charges $45, but she is 90min north of my house. That's the closest rabbit vet. It's in the suburbs.

Ouch. Ours charges $77 for an annual exam/check up! He's located in Fairfax, Virginia which is right outside of D.C. We love them so much, though, and they do a great job with anything we've taken our rabbits in for I don't mind paying that once a year. For next year, we're planning to save a bit each month (~$20) so we have enough for all three rabbits in our savings account and won't have to pay directly from our bank account. I had no idea it would be so much so I didn't think about saving for it ahead of time.

mdith4him wrote:
Ours charges $77 for an annual exam/check up! He's located in Fairfax, Virginia which is right outside of D.C. We love them so much, though, and they do a great job with anything we've taken our rabbits in for I don't mind paying that once a year.
I should clarify that a big reason why I started this thread is that both of my rabbits end up at the vet's multiple times per year. I wouldn't gripe about a $68 exam fee if it were paid once yearly.

But add on to that exam fee many test and medication costs, and we've cut into a lot of our personal savings in order to keep our rabbits. I'm starting to think that the tests being run have been a waste, since nearly all of them have turned up nothing--multiple times with regard to those tests that have been run more than once. :(

Jenk

Jenk wrote:
mdith4him wrote:
Ours charges $77 for an annual exam/check up! He's located in Fairfax, Virginia which is right outside of D.C. We love them so much, though, and they do a great job with anything we've taken our rabbits in for I don't mind paying that once a year.
I should clarify that a big reason why I started this thread is that both of my rabbits end up at the vet's multiple times per year. I wouldn't gripe about a $68 exam fee if it were paid once yearly.

But add on to that exam fee many test and medication costs, and we've cut into a lot of our personal savings in order to keep our rabbits. I'm starting to think that the tests being run have been a waste, since nearly all of them have turned up nothing--multiple times with regard to those tests that have been run more than once. :(

Jenk

I've found that too-if a bunny is serously sick and your going in sometimes 2-3X a week paying THAT much, your money goes quickly. And then it ends up making almost any surgery nearly impossible price wise (ours wanted $450 for a neuter!) Bloodwork too, it hundreds of dollars and it quickly adds up.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
I've found that too-if a bunny is serously sick and your going in sometimes 2-3X a week paying THAT much, your money goes quickly. And then it ends up making almost any surgery nearly impossible price wise (ours wanted $450 for a neuter!) Bloodwork too, it hundreds of dollars and it quickly adds up.
That's exactly it. Heck, we spent $1,500--in about 4 months' time--just to figure out that E. cuniculi might be the cause of the odd symptoms I was observing in my boy. We didn't want to spend that much money on all three of our pets combined for the year!

I'm irritated about the whole situation, especially since my vet wants to do blood work or x-rays multiple times per year--whenever I report that my boy's doing something different (for him). I wish she'd just say, "It could be that his behavior has changed; it may be nothing to get worked up over." And that is why I'm starting to feel like money--rather than pet healthcare--has become the #1 priority at some vet clinics.

Jenk

slavetoabunny wrote:
It's really not any different with human doctors.
I suppose us Canadians shouldn't complain about higher vet charges when we don't have to worry about doctor bills and hospital stays.

Still, it's a bit of a bummer that Calgary is so much more expensive compared to some Canadian cities...

I suppose us Canadians shouldn't complain about higher vet charges when we don't have to worry about doctor bills and hospital stays.

Still, it's a bit of a bummer that Calgary is so much more expensive compared to some Canadian cities...

Amanda, you also have some fantastic exotic vets though. Lots of vets here don't even see rabbits, let alone have much experience with them. Guess that's the trade off eh?

MarisaAndToby wrote:

Amanda, you also have some fantastic exotic vets though. Lots of vets here don't even see rabbits, let alone have much experience with them. Guess that's the trade off eh?

Yes, we are lucky to have the vets we do for sure! I trust Dr. Materi with anything, especially the whole Flynn ordeal, and I know that even if it's something my vet hasn't done before, she'll go above and beyond to help a patient in need. I'm not saying it is not worth the money, especially considering the peace of mind. :)

My vets charge £23 for a standard exam, which is roughly $36. I live on a little island that only has 4 vets on it :) The vets are in the countryside, it's an old farm type of thing :)

Back