What does this behaviour mean?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kel4mum

Reaction score
Princess has been bought back downstairs, after what seems to be a phantom pregnancy, and is now in the same room, but seperate cages as Benjamin. Benjamin started going wild when Princess was in the room. He obv wanted to get to her. I came down this morning to find one of the kids hadaccidently let Princess out of the cage, and she was running around Benjamin's indoor run. Anyway, what I want to know is why she keeps laying low and sticking her nose into the run and allows Benji to lick her. Is this a good sign?

After being curious and watching their behaviour, Princess and Benjamin are now lying next to each other, one on each side of the cage.....bless

They look like they have a bond already. I've taken some photo to show everyone.

It seems like they want a companion. I would also think she is being submissive to him.

Photo-0303.jpg

Photo-0302.jpg

Lol they look really nice together but with a cage like that between them expect babies because he could have easily got to her throw the bars.

She is actually being dominant when she puts her nose down to me. It roughly translates to 'I'm the boss, show me how much you love and worship me' and she gets what she wants when he grooms her. It looks like she MAY be the boss of the pair.

She's living up to her name :p

Princess is defo the boss of these two, even though Bejamin has been here longer. She was out the other day and was running round his cage making honking noises, and then as always she lays down and he licks her nose and head.....What do the honking noises mean? I did look in my rabbit bible and it said that it means 'I love you', is this true? Has anyone elses rabbit made honking noises to another rabbit before?

Rabbits can be pretty vocal sometimes.

I've been doing a bonding this week and he is very loud and talkative when he gets excited and happy. She gets loud if he scares her.

In your case it could be excitement or happiness, or could also be hormones (which will stay even in fixed rabbits). I'm guessing she isn't spayed if she recently had a phantom pregnancy? That might also be causing the talking too.

If she isn't spayed, are you planning on getting her spayed before fully starting to bond?

Benjamin has been castrated, and I am planning on getting Princess spayed in the next month or so. I bonded the pair before Princess had her phantom pregnancy, and have kept her nearby since as they obv like each other and have never fought. But Princess and Benjamin are still in seperate cages, however I let them out to play together when I am watching. They are great to watch and get on very well.

That's great. Once she has been spayed and recovered you can look to stepping it up from playtimes to being husbun and wife. You stand a chance at doing that before she is spayed but it is more risky and alos you then have to decide how you will go about getting her spayed (i.e. separate them and cause more stress, or send them both, can he be calm while she is recovering, etc).

Its great that they have all the foundations in place. Hopefully it will be a very successful bond when it happens :)

Latest posts

Back