what do you use for rabbits' exercise time?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilzzy

Reaction score
hello i'm just wondering what you all use for your rabbit's (or more than 1) exercise time? right now my rabbit's home is an xpen attached to a giant cage. at first i thought this was big enough for exercise.. but i realised that rabbits need way more room to run up and down. soo.. do you all let your rabbits out in a bunny proof room or something?

i'm moving to a new house soon so i'm thinking of having a room just for my bunny to run around in all day and night. :p

I use a x-pen for buns that are hard to catch. The others have to take turns in the back yard because they fight. They really don't need the whole back yard but it's there. I only had one rabbit who regularly raced around the perimeter like she was running track. All my others would only run a few yards at a time.

Some like to jump so veges on top of a table is fair game and x-pens don't hold them. They don't jump over the x-pen but jump and climb over the top. It took a long time for me to actually see one do it. Those who want to can really get a good workout just running around the edge of the x-pen.

Hmmm...one rabbit free roams anyways and all he does is sleep. My other gets to run in the bathroom and the hallway for a couple hours

If you can let them have their own room thats perfect ! we have our bun in a study room in an xpen we open to xpen so he can run around the room when he goes back into the xpen area we close it up again really easy,we did let him run around our 20 x 20 ft lounge but he`d do anything not to go back in his xpen in the other room and we ended up worrying he`d get hurt as we tried to get him back in his carrier to take him back to xpen ,he hates being carried and makes a huge fuss and kicks.

My bun has a cage and xpen, but I open it up whenever we're home and he's free range. He's confined to the dining room, kitchen, and living room which have all been bunny proofed. The living room was really the only one that needed bunny proofing and I accomplished that by putting up a few NIC grids as fencing to keep him from cords, books, etc.

A designated bunny room sounds great!

Gus has a 4X2 NIC cage that he spends the night in and any time we're not home. Otherwise, he gets free roam of the (mostly bunny-proofed) main floor of ourtownhome (living room, dining room, kitchen, front hall, etc.) with a baby gate to keep him downstairs.In total, he gets between 10-12 hours of run time every day. (I'm a stay-at-home mom, but I do get out of the house from time to time. ;))

We've never had any troublegetting him back in his cage at night (or if we're going out, etc.), because we've always corresponded cage time with food time. All we have to do is say, "C'mon!" and start walking toward the bathroom (where his cage is) and he zooms ahead of you, hops right in and stares at his dish. :biggrin2:

Rue

We have a back garden so I let the rabbits run around for a good few hours then when it gets dark I have to put them back to bed!!

Oh, and on sunny days, we'll put him in his harness and take out for a "walk" around our townhouse complex. (He really enjoys that!) In the spring, I plan to properly bunny proof the backyard (too many holes in the fence for him to squeeze through!) so he can spend a few hours playing outside by himself.

Rue

wow- many bunnies here get heaps of time out of their cage! my bunny- Donut, doesn't like the metal bars. i used to let him out in a really huge room which no one uses, and he'd race around all the time- that is until he started chewing and damaging the carpet. he doesn't exercise now anymore in his playpen cause i think he's used to much bigger areas. therefore, i decided to give him a huge space or a room for him, using the playpen gates to cover up at spaces where he could run out.

hopefully he'll like that!

I put my bunny in my room for a couple hours a night.

I found this:

1. If i put him in my room and watch tv on my bed, he'll jump onto my lap to lick my face or get pats.

2. If i ignore him and let him have free time to run around while i use my PC, he'll get up to mischief. He likes to jump over barriers no matter how high i make them to get into areas where there are cables. He knows he's not allowed there. Or he'll jump over boxes and tip them over so he can get behind my computer. Very naughty if not given attention while he gets free time!

Ours are out as long as we are out of bed - even if we aren't home.

Pre-bonding, Finley had our rec room and living room to 'play' in. J.Behr had the kitchen and bathroom.

Now that they are newly bonded they have a large chunk of our rec room. Once J.Behr's litter habits improve they will have the whole rec-room and living room. I haven't decided yet if they will get the kitchen. J.Behr is a huge trouble maker and requires a lot of bun-proofing (to the extent I need to do stuff to keep him off the table and it's too easy to forget to do that).

I have a little kennel-type system in my backyard for my rabbits. I forget how many pens there are, but there's enough for everybun. I have 3 pens that are about 4 feet by 3 feet, and then I have another large pen that I have no clue what the dimensions are, but it's very large.

The other x-pens are 2x3 NIC panels. Kind of a small space, but my bunnies don't mind and they get to rotate through the big pens every now and then, and sometimes we'll take a few of them out on the harness/leash as well. :)

Emily

my bunny gets 6 hours of free roaming time every night. she has access to kitchen, living room and bedroom. the only place she's not allowed is the bathroom because she likes to poop in the laundry basket..

I made a grazing run out of wood and chicken wire with an open bottom. It's about 6 feet long and 2 feet wide and is held together with nails that can be pulled out for storage. It has a roof because we have birds of prey in the area. My rabbit doesn't dig and this should be taken into consideration for all rabbits on play time. He gets outside time when it's good weather and I am home and lives in an X pen inside with access to a room when I'm able to monitor him. He seems to like to nibble and doze outside and really only runs around inside. I have a harness but he will not wear it. His loss... :)

My buns get their run time in our bunny-proofed hallway outside of my room.
A bunny room sounds great, but remember they're social animals and like being around their slaves, er, people, so it's great if they're spending time somewhere where you're spending time if possible.

I bunny proofed my large bedroom, where I spend most of my time, which is where my crew get's their exercise. It works out great because it's a large enough space for zooming around and big binkies, but small enough I can make sure they aren't getting into trouble by eating carpet or something.

missyscove wrote:
A bunny room sounds great, but remember they're social animals and like being around their slaves, er, people, so it's great if they're spending time somewhere where you're spending time if possible.

yeah i'll probably bunny-proof my room in the new house and let donut run around 24/7 so that he would be more comfortable around me. :)

I just let all the bun's out of there cages and let them run the house.. They will chase each other for couple hours, Then i put them back into their cages

Latest posts

Back