what do you use for litter and cage bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memesbunnies

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We are still shovelling out from a good foot of snow, it very cold here, probably will hit -30 tonight.

Just Bunny has developed a stuffed nose and is sort of sneezing from time to time, not always and is healthy in every other way, recovered from neuter and is getting into trouble as normal ( likes to get on my kitchen table).

I was just doing some research that said pine shavings are a no no for the litter box. Well, okay I am willing to change - please recommend what is cheapest and safest for J.B. But I also use shavings for bedding in his cage so what does every one use to line the cage, I would not feel right just leaving him on the hard plastic floor.

Please help. Thank you.

[align=center]For litter I use Equine Fresh- it is very absorbent, it hides the scent for a decent while, and it's cheap. You can get it at Tractor Supply Company- if you have that in Canada?

I use wood pellets in the litter boxes. You can get horse stall bedding or even wood stove pellets at the UFA or feed stores. I believe that the price at the UFA is about $6.50 for the 35 pound bag of horse stall bedding.

Since my buns are litter trained, I use fleece in the rest of the cage. I got the blankets at the Superstore for about $5 each (I now have 7), but they are a summer item so they might not have them now. You can find other fleece around that will work. It is a good idea to have at least 1 extra so you can wash one and have the other. While fleece and other fabric may seem more than other bedding, it lasts a long time. I know a large bale of savings is about $10 and doesn't last more than a month or so depending on how much you use. 2 blankets can least years, some of mine are 3.5 years old and still in good shape.

For the litter trays I use 'yesterday news'. Its all natural and safe if they do eat a bit.
Im unsure where you can buy it as Im from Ireland and buy it online..

For the cages, Ive got three cages, one huge c&c cage, one 'large' pet store cage and a 2X2 nic cage.. The pet store cage and small nic cage is temporary!

But between all three The flooring is - tiles, coroplast, grass mats, carbored.

You can also use fleece or carpets, but if your rabbit is a chewer then get stuff like i have that they cant eat or its no harm if they do eat it!

Jennys pen is vinyl flooring on the bottom, the second level is coroplast with farbric pined over it, and the 3rd level is a folded towel and a bed.

Peepers cage is fleece on the bottom.

their litterboxes contain stall dry(wood pellets) ATM, but I usually use pine shavings(kiln dried) too no ill effects as that is what we always used for the gerbils so it was "there" lol, however recently all the good brands of nice big flakes of shavings has suddenly turned into bags of dust pretty much, and its causing issues, so the rabbits are giving stall dry a try, and the gerbils are trying eco-bedding.

i use cat litter a lot, it's cheap and it lasts longer becuase I can scoop out the peed in parts without dumping the whole box if it doesn't need it, I do have a grate so she can't eat it or dig in it though. and My bun actually likes laying on the plastic, i don't know if it's cool or what but when i put blankets in she pushes them in a corner and flops down on the plastic

The main floor of Gus's cage is vinyl. He's got two shelves wrapped in fleece blankets (Dollarama has pet blankets for $1.50 each!). He'll lay on the vinyl tiles just as happily as on the fleece blankets. I use horse stall bedding or wood stove pellets (Rona!) for his litter box. Whichever is cheaper. ;)

I don't recommend cat litter AT ALL. Rabbits spend a lot more time in their litter boxes than cats do and the dust from cat litter is known to be toxic. We won't even talk about what happens if they ingest it. :(

Hope that helps!

Rue

I have 3 big blankets and a bunch of smaller ones. I normally cover the the big blankets with the 2 small ones. That way is she gets a little poopy butt I don't have to worry about it getting on her big blanket. During the summer she gets the small blankets.

Coffee has 2 litter boxes one upstarts and one in her cage. The one in her cage uses that petco paper litter stuff. The one upstairs has cat litter. My parents said they won't deal with the smell of bunny business.

I use Yesterday's new in the litter box and Carefresh bedding in the rest of the cage. Carefresh isn't the cheapest bedding, but I really like it and it gives her something soft to snuggle in. I've tried blankets in the past, but she does still have the occasional accident.

Bought Pine for mine, but after reading books on it, found out that it would be bad for him. So going to change it to something more safe for him.

Latest posts

Back