What do you think of the history/backgound on this female Rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pet_lover48

Reaction score
Hi! I'm wanting to adopt these 2 bonded rabbits. They are almost 3yrs old now, sound really friendly and I'm told they are 100% litter trained. They are both spayed/neutered.

I asked the current owner to tell me a bit more about them (their history/background and when they were little, how long they'd been together, etc.) Here's what she said: (Remember, the ones I'm wanting to adopt are Mandy and Joey.)

Mandy and Joey have been together most of their lives. Joey is a couple months older than Mandy so they were not together as little bunnies, but I did put them all together when I adopted them all (I had 6 in total like I mentioned before). It is a bit of a long story why they are now split into 2 bonded pairs, but I will try to make it short….here goes: I had 6 bunnies and brought them all to the vet to be spayed and neutered. They spayed/neutered all of them but Mandy because they felt she was too little at the time. We were supposed to bring her back in 3 months. We brought her back in that time and they said she was still too little and bring her back again in one month (it is actually pretty dangerous to spay female rabbits…it is a delicate/difficult surgery and only certain vets will actually care for rabbits so we were very careful to time it when she was safe). Turns out, about a week before we were supposed to have her surgery, she gave birth to 6 babies. Imagine our surprise! So, once we found the babies, we moved her and her babies to a separate home so they could be together….we also needed to find out how she got pregnant because my other 5 were supposed to ‘fixed’. It turns out that one of the bunnies (one of the rescue’s from the shelter) had a scar on his abdomen so they thought he likely had already been altered (and he was initially thought to be female) so they didn’t do the surgery again. Turns out that she was a he….and was the culprit. We had him neutered asap. What we also came to learn was that females can get pregnant immediately after they give birth…so, about 30 days after Mandy gave birth to the first litter, she gave birth to 7 more babies! So, we had a complete household full of bunnies. Mandy was a great momma and took fabulous care of her babies. When they were old enough (about 5 months old), we adopted them out to two different petting zoos and two separate homes that were looking for babies. We would have loved to keep them at the time, but didn’t want to run the risk of having 100’s of babies! It really was an unexpected gift because the kids got to learn a lot about birthing, caring for babies, etc….we even color coded them when they were little and weighed them each day to see how many grams they were gaining…it was really neat for all of us!

Once all the babies were homed, Mandy was by herself. It was then that we took her to be spayed—we did this even though we knew she could not get pregnant again, but it is better for their health and their “moods”. After she recovered from her surgery, we introduced her back with the other adult bunnies. At this time, they all didn’t get along so well as a group of 6. The females tended not to like each other.(In fact,Cali and were touching noses and Cali must have felt dominant because he bit at her nose…it cut it a bit so I had to take her to the vet and they sutured it. I asked that they put her under anesthetic so that she wouldn’t feel any pain while they did that….it cost me about $300 but it was worth it—no long term effects…she is not nervous at all.)Joey is very easy going so we thought since Mandy had been by herself for awhile, it might make the most sense to have Joey and Mandy connect back together. It was absolutely no problem….they got along great! Joey is not a dominant bunny per se, he is very easy going…and Mandy responded passively to him right away. So, they have been a bonded pair ever since.

So, what I'm wondering is, do you think it would be ok to adopt these 2 rabbits, especially the female who previously had 2 litters of babies so close together and had her nose bitten? Do you think that'll make her as healthy as a normal rabbit, as she gets older? Other than that, she sounds like a great rabbit and this ladyand her familyseemed to havecared for both of them really well (have large 3 level customized kennel/cage, get to go outside in a large 2 story hutch when weather's nice and overall seem to be well cared for.)

Let me know what you think. All answers greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pet_lover48

I don't see what the issue is as far as her having had litters. If she's not showing any signs of illness now - I'd say it didn't hurt her at all.

Hi Kaylee,

I totally agree with Peg, she's an expert too.

My Buttercup had his lip Bitten by Wilbur a few years ago. He also had to have emergency surgery. Absolutely no ill effects. He will be 13 this summer.

So I say go for it a bonded pair, just think you don't have to go through the bonding process which is no fun.

I look forward to seeing pictures of them. When will you be getting them?

Susan:)

It's sounds fine, a neutered adult pair are the best sort of bunnies to adopt as what you see is usually what you get. I'd suggest meeting them before you make up your mind 100% but they sound great to me.

The litters shouldn't cause any long term issues and as long as the bite is healed then it's no different to you or me getting a cut as a child - no long term effects.

Back