What do you find hardest about owning rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
I mean in a physical sense, like grooming, finding the right foods for you bun, getting what you need. I don't mean the emotional side of losing one, or anything, purely related to their physical care.

The thing I personally struggle with the most is getting the right food amount. I can help them lose weight, if necessary, but I personally struggle with how much to increase it by and often the buns end up putting on weight. So the hardest thing for me is food amounts.

What is the hardest thing for you?

I find the hardest bit organizing the run time. To figure out who goes where and to remember who to put back when we go out. I wish I had a run around their cages so they could come and go as they please and even though they have shelter in their open runs they never go in when it rains and I have to pick them out completely drenched if i don't get there fast enough. Yes, that is the most difficuilt physical thing for me, shifting them around and remembering where I put them and also remember while I'm doing it where I left the baby (human) I sometimes get too carried away with the rabbits...

Dealing with hay. Sometimes buying - usually storing - but just dealing with hay everywhere. It's like a creeping weed here in my house since my buns are house pets.

Good question! My emotional thing would be worrying about them but on the physical stuff:

Cleaning..... mine are messy! Hay everywhere! and Bo has his own way of litterboxing..... Pee in one and poo in the other.... *sigh*

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Good question! My emotional thing would be worrying about them but on the physical stuff:

Cleaning..... mine are messy! Hay everywhere! and Bo has his own way of litterboxing..... Pee in one and poo in the other.... *sigh*
I have that too about peeing in one and pooping in the other. I clean out the pee box everyday and swap it for the poo box and let them mess it up properly. The rotation system works rather well:)

Yeah, we do something similar to that. It's just a pain! He also thinks he needs a blankie in his pee box. If we put it in the front half it's fine..... but if he drags it in there........he ends up peeing on it...... He's such a little imp!

Good question!

Ummm.... I'd have to say protecting my house LOL. It's rented, but Mouse and Chalk have done some serious damage to a couple of door frames, and skirting boards. We're probably going to have to replace sections of skirting board when we move out to get our deposit back. We put things in front of them but they move them out the way and carry on chewing! :X

Nail clipping used to be it for me as well, but I've learnt to do that now and it's not a worry anymore :D

Apart from that I'd have to say cleaning- although it seems normal to sweep the floor 3 times a day and constantly mop up puddles of pee now LOL :p

:nicethread The hardest thing for me is the fact that I can't drive and I don't have a job. If I could drive, i could go to the shop and buy veggies and hay etc myself and if I had money I could pay for everything e.g neuter, spay and other vet care...... Thats what I want to make my bunnies happy .....

Fortunately, I am really lucky to have three clean, well behaved/trained buns.
However, I also get really frustrated with hay. Just like Leaf, I have a hard time buying it, cleaning it, and storing it.
Also, I have carpet, and a really crappy vacuum that clogs with hair/hay every 2 minutes, so vacuuming take an hour longer than it should.

The hardest thing for me is getting them the right diet, since I can't feed them pellets because there is only the coloured kind available to me. Another thing is getting them out of their cages enough, with school and this year, big exams. It's dark by the time I get home so during weekdays all I can do is give them a pat and feed them in the evening.

One of the hardest things (so far) for me: Finding people I can trust to care for my buns if/when I need to go out of town. (Especially true in a locale where buns are pretty much viewed as stock animals.)

But I'm also sure I'd feel the same way about other species, if I had them.

The thing i find the hardest is the keeping up of cleaning the boxes. The other hard thing is keeping up cutting Sooty's teeth, i have stopped doing it so this now requires a trip to the vet , and i always worry that he is going to get an abcess in his teeth and he will have to have them removed and it will be an emergency type of thing.

Cleaning the boxes and keeping them from eating things and getting into places they're not supposed to! Also, they are often pretty bad about litter training, especially near the boundary between the two pairs.

Emotionally, it makes me sad that Tony bullies the bf's bunnies so much. :(

For me the hardest thing is clipping nails. My bun seems to know when its nail clipping time and hides in the hardest to reach corner of his cage. I also need to the of someone to hold him while I clip. Its not terribly difficult as he sits there really nicely while I clip them, its just more of a pain having to do it.

THE MESS!

I'm not a super-duper tidy person, but the amount of pee and poo from Ceara is enough to make me cry sometimes. She pees everywhere and poos constantly. You know how with a spayed/neautered bun you might only need to do one big cage cleanout once a week? With her, you have to do that 3 times a day :?. She sprays urine and flings poo everywhere, as well as peeing all over food etc etc.

Second worry with bunnies for me, if I have more than one, is caging. I hate sorting out caging and trying to fit things in.

I actually just thought of one more thing and that is probably the hardest for me: Finding the right balance between allowing them freedom and keeping them safe. I have the same issue with the kids. I find that the most agonizing part

Probably the mess, especially with the hay. It gets everywhere.

Shadow has free run of the house, and tends to have a mouthful of hay, then something sparks his interest, he carries the hay to wherever, loses interest and drops the hay. Then goes back for more :?

Also, with Shadow and Jester not being bonded, we tend to have the poop wars every so often!

Jan

Flashy wrote:
What is the hardest thing for you?

:dunno Don't really know. Hay is no problem. Pee is wiped up easily. Poop is swept upor vacuumed quickly.

I think the hardest thing is deciding which treat to give them. :p

Weight management.
I can NEVER get CJ's food right - hes either on too little food and loses tons of weight in days or too much and he puts on loads of weight.
Right now, whilst he is getting better, he is too skinny. I am not sure what to feed him though to put the weight on? :( and I know its not worms but anyway...aside from that its the temper tantrums. They dont need explaining. If I told you how bad CJ's temper was you wouldnt belive me....

Latest posts

Back