What do you feed your buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Wabbits

Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wonder for you breeders out there what you feed your rabbits. Here is my list of rations.

6 - 8 oz Blue Seal Bunny 16 (Proper protein levels to keep in good coat condition longest and good growth rate with the babies)

1 - 3 Teaspoons of Manna Pro Calf Manna. (1 teaspoon for maintenence and growing babies, 2 for last week of pregnancy and 3 for nursing does. My rabbits love this. They condition very easily on it, the babies grow fast with it and if I have a problem with a rabbit that won't eat this will usually bring their appetite back really quick. You have to watch the protein content but great for nursing does and growing youngsters. I use it for those that are molting as well)

Lots of high quaility fresh timothy hay.

1 teaspoon Rolled oats for the skinny ones and the ones that aren't growing as well.

Wheat germ or sunflower seeds for poor fur (Haven't had any problems since starting calf manna though.)

And for a helpful playtoy/treat I give them sticks off an apple tree, some dandelions and toilet paper tubes stuffed with hay.

I feed Blue Seal Bunny 16 as well. My mini-rex get 1/2 cup a day plus hay

and a treat of oatmeal and a couple of sunflower seeds. I do not feed calf

manna or any other supplements. I want to have a herd that has good fur

without them. I free feed the does with litters after the kits are about

a week old.

Roger

I give all of my rabbits DuMor Show Formula that is great for all stages for rabbits. I also give oats once a week,hay everyday at night,and once a week they will get a yummy treat (well in that case bannas). :) They all love it! But the DuMor feed I will NEVER change, I've gotten best results from that feed from my show rabbits! ;)

We feed Blue Seal Hutch Extra 17. I free feed my Flemish Giants from weaning age on. They eataround1-1/2 cups a day.

My Mini Rex are fed the same feed except they get measured 1/3 - 1/2 cup once a day. (Does with litters are free fed after the litter is 7 days old)

All rabbits get timothy hay. Babies get Rolled oats mixed with pellets from 3 weeks until weaning.

Rolled oats and Sunflower seeds (6-7)as a treat.

I feed Blue Seal Bunny 16. I give timothy hay whenever they are out. I give oats as a treat or if one goes off their feed. I give carrots, apples, bananas, and yams as a treat once a week or so. Carrots are for the non-show rabbits or when show season is over...for some reason the judges think it is bad for a rabbit to win with orange colored lips...lol.

Sharon

While you guys are on this conversation I actually had a question about it..

The English Lop I just adopted from a breeder told me she gives him oats and NEVER any greens. Why not? I thought it was good to give them some veggies but not too much.. and to slowely introduce different kinds.

Thanks for whoever can clear that up for me :). I don't know if it is different for show buns :huh

I don't do greens too often or too much. I try to keep their diet stable and consistant. If they are going to chow down on something, I'd rather it be their hay. I'm very happy that Ivery seldom, if ever, have stasis problems.

I grow my own comfrey and parsley, used as an occassionaltreat or for light eaters. And the backyard produces a great crop of dandilion leaves each summer! Small amounts, only given occasionally,usually once a week.

In my opinion, eachvegetable/greenor fruit introduced is one more thing for their digestion to adjust to, one more factor that affectsgut mobility.

I feed all my rabbits (whether brood or pet) a main pellet diet. The pellets are the kind I get from Dels.

Heavy rabbits get Regular pellets with Diet food

In the spring the show rabbits are fed show food.

I want to soon get the supreme stuff with everything in it. It looks really good. What's this called though? Can i get it at Dels?

I also feed fresh grass/timothy hay

They also get grass, carrots, dandelions and other veggies and fruits. Today I think i'll give them some orange. They all love bananas.

Senior Does: 3 oz. TizWhiz Show Formula

Senior Bucks: 2 oz. TizWhiz Show Formula

Junior Does: 2 1/2-3 oz. TizWhiz

Junior Bucks: However much TizWhiz

I also supplement pregnant/kindling does with horse sweet feed and horse oats. Babies get oats as well. Around show time, they all get 1 1/2 oz. TizWhiz, 3/4 sweet feed, and 3/4 horse oats. It's a good coat conditioner.

Latest posts

Back