What do you do re: pet homes for your culls?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously a very controversal subject. I really don't sell many as pets. Lots of pets end up in way worse situations then being put in the freezer. I will 100% not sell a fuzzy as a pet. People just do NOT take care of the hair properly. The elops, I still question, and the harlies go in the freezer.

I'm not attacking anyone, but its people who don't understand breeding, who really hurt amazing things like the ARBA. Most the pet bunnies on here seem to have more issues then the breeders... yet its the breeders who take care of their animals are being attacked. I just don't get it.

anyways....thats my culls.

GorbyJobRabbits wrote:
I will 100% not sell a fuzzy as a pet. People just do NOT take care of the hair properly.
Just something to think about. I think if the people are educated they can take care of the hair. I have an angora and I think he looks great. I brush out his fur a couple times a week. :)

002-1.jpg

1 person in a million who don't will never change my mind. I see the 100s of pets on CL every day that no one wants any more, and the ones in shelters. Just pets, isn't going to ever happen.

kuniklos wrote:
woahlookitsme wrote:
I sell them for pet quality and if i cant find them one then we give them to a fellow rabbit friend to give to her reptile lady. I usually try to find them homes for a good 3-6 months. Its hard to sell my breed.
I usually see so many tans at shows, and its a surprise they don't sell well! Sure they may not be "cuddly" like many other breeds, but my goodness are they really adaptable, hardy, flipping beautiful, and so energetic! A tan was my first rabbit since I was a child. He's my precious!

But I am sure I am bias... >.> However, everyone who has met him has commented on how beautiful he is. GQ rabbit! :muscleman:
I think Tans are more popular up north. I know that's where most of the big name breeders are. Tans are very striking, I agree, and that's what draws people to them. The kids are usually the ones who want them but when we explain that they aren't lap bunnies (and then the parents see themtry to crawl up their kid's chest) they usually decide they have too much energy for their taste. It's hard for a kid to hold one if they don't know what they're doing. So, yes, it's kindahardsometimes to sell them as pets unless the rabbit is older.

"I usually see so many tans at shows, and its a surprise they don't sell well! Sure they may not be "cuddly" like many other breeds, but my goodness are they really adaptable, hardy, flipping beautiful, and so energetic! A tan was my first rabbit since I was a child. He's my precious!

But I am sure I am bias... >.> However, everyone who has met him has commented on how beautiful he is. GQ rabbit!"

"I love tans as well. Such a beautiful breed. One of my first rabbits was a tan, and I miss her. Someday I'll get back into them when my lionheads aren't occupying every available space :)"

^^
Thank you for your comments :) Im happy to hear that. People just think tans are so much crazier than other breeds such as hollands. . .But it takes a special person to understand tan rabbits for what they are.

And in response to the thread culling is very sensitive subject but its one of those topics where you dont have to support or accept it but understanding and realizing that it has to be done sometimes is taking a realist view. With only having 20 holes we dont have much room but i pride myself in raising quality rabbits with a guarentee that show quality is deemed so when someone purchases a bunny from me and pet quality doesn't mean the rabbit cant have a wonderful life with its forever home. Hopefully now that I have a website I can get my bunnies to their homes easier and quicker and dont have to send them off.

I also wanted to thank the mods for stepping in and regulating this thread :) Good job and sorry if i said anything too touchy.

I am actually stepping out of this thread and have asked the other moderators if someone will take it over.

I asked that the direction of the thread be changed - and folks did not do that - they continued on the discussion.

So I am removing myself from this topic since people were not willing to respect the request I made. Perhaps another moderator can handle this better.

woahlookitsme wrote:
"I usually see so many tans at shows, and its a surprise they don't sell well! Sure they may not be "cuddly" like many other breeds, but my goodness are they really adaptable, hardy, flipping beautiful, and so energetic! A tan was my first rabbit since I was a child. He's my precious!

But I am sure I am bias... >.> However, everyone who has met him has commented on how beautiful he is. GQ rabbit!"

"I love tans as well. Such a beautiful breed. One of my first rabbits was a tan, and I miss her. Someday I'll get back into them when my lionheads aren't occupying every available space :)"

^^
Thank you for your comments :) Im happy to hear that. People just think tans are so much crazier than other breeds such as hollands. . .But it takes a special person to understand tan rabbits for what they are.
Which makes me wonder...where is our thread just for tans? I think we need one.

I got my Netherland Dwarf Felix as a cull. Well, he was going to be culled if I hadn't come along. I found him on Craigslist. He had big ears and non-showable coloring. I neutered him when he reached the appropriate age. There are many MANY wonderful pet homes out there if you chose to go that route, you just need to screen thoroughly through the crappy homes who don't have a clue.

I thank god almost all the breeders on this forum I can respect. I am also the odd one in saying that I understand why this discussion is needed/wanted. I can understand the need for culling and even accept sometimes it is the best thing to do. I do how ever understand that not everyone can handle this kind of conversation. So once again I ask that you stick to what TinysMom has asked. If not I WILL lock this thread.

TinysMom wrote
Let's turn this thread around to become positive by talking about this...

How do you find pet homes for those rabbits? Or how do you pet them out? Do you use a pet store? Do you find homes yourself?

What has helped you the most at finding those homes?

Any further discussion that is criticizing the breeders - OR is discussing culling via. "killing" will be pulled and members will receive a warning/reminder about our forum rules.

I will 100% not sell a fuzzy as a pet. People just do NOT take care of the hair properly.

I am in 100% agreement here. I bought a teddy bear lionhead that came with a package deal. He had been sold to a pet home and returned to the breeder. He was so matted it took me several hours over two days to remove all the mats. I had to be so careful that I didn't cut his tail, since I couldn't even find it! Call me critical, but I just don't trust that people will take proper care of them.

plasticbunny, I meant no offense to you, but as a rescuer, I never will give my money or sell my animals to a pet store. I live in a state known for it's puppymills. It pains me to think of where those dogs came from. I'm also disgruntled for the fact that they sell unspayed and unneutered animals for insane prices when people argue with me over a $100 adoption fee for a dog that's spayed/neutered and utd on it's shots. Not to mention that I spent over $150 just to pull it off of death row at the pound. If you'll excuse me, I've just had a bad week, where people tell me I'm crazy for charging way too much for a dog. They're the same as the people who ask me to come take the dog they don't want anymore or a stray and then don't want to make any sort of donation whatsoever even though they gladly offer it over the phone. :grumpy: This gal has a car payment and student loans ya know...

When I try to find pet homes, I prefer word of mouth, although sometimes I do advertise in the classifieds. If I can find a pet home, great! But it seems like the good ones are few and far between.

laylabunny wrote:

I am in 100% agreement here. I bought a teddy bear lionhead that came with a package deal. He had been sold to a pet home and returned to the breeder. He was so matted it took me several hours over two days to remove all the mats. I had to be so careful that I didn't cut his tail, since I couldn't even find it! Call me critical, but I just don't trust that people will take proper care of them.
As much as I love angoras, if I were to ever breed I would be very hesitant on breeding them. It is so hard to find good homes for them, even with people who would use the wool, that it is hardly worth it. I do dog and rabbit grooming and have seen far too many angora, jersey woolies and other similar breeds and mixes that are really just 1 big mat. I had one not to long ago that had 2 or 3 huge clumps of poop stuck to the butt and one that was wrapped around the tail. I had a hard time getting that off and just about took the tail off too as I didn't know it was in there. At least most rabbits are good with grooming, so it isn't too bad. It really gets me when I see the same rabbit come back and it is not much better or even worse than the first time. I think I have done 1 (other than my own) that was in good condition and just needed to be sheered.
I do know there are good people out there (as I am one) who do take care of the long haired breeds. However, I do have a very good breeder to help me. When I got Lillian, I spent about 3-4 hours with her to go over grooming and other care. While Lillian may get some mats, they are easily taken care of before they become a problem.

I do feel lucky that the breeders I have gotten rabbits from have trusted me. I am honest with them about why I want the rabbit (as a pet and now for rabbit hopping), and most seem to be fine with that. I have had rabbits for almost 6 years now, so I don't know if that makes a difference as I am more experienced than some people who might want one.

I think that you do need to put some effort into finding the right pet homes. Asking questions is a good place to start and if you don't feel right about it, then don't do it. Even though there are a lot of bad owners out there, there are also a lot of good ones who may just need a chance.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
laylabunny wrote:

As much as I love angoras, if I were to ever breed I would be very hesitant on breeding them. It is so hard to find good homes for them, even with people who would use the wool, that it is hardly worth it. I do dog and rabbit grooming and have seen far too many angora, jersey woolies and other similar breeds and mixes that are really just 1 big mat. I had one not to long ago that had 2 or 3 huge clumps of poop stuck to the butt and one that was wrapped around the tail. I had a hard time getting that off and just about took the tail off too as I didn't know it was in there. At least most rabbits are good with grooming, so it isn't too bad. It really gets me when I see the same rabbit come back and it is not much better or even worse than the first time. I think I have done 1 (other than my own) that was in good condition and just needed to be sheered.
I do know there are good people out there (as I am one) who do take care of the long haired breeds. However, I do have a very good breeder to help me. When I got Lillian, I spent about 3-4 hours with her to go over grooming and other care. While Lillian may get some mats, they are easily taken care of before they become a problem.

I do feel lucky that the breeders I have gotten rabbits from have trusted me. I am honest with them about why I want the rabbit (as a pet and now for rabbit hopping), and most seem to be fine with that. I have had rabbits for almost 6 years now, so I don't know if that makes a difference as I am more experienced than some people who might want one.

I think that you do need to put some effort into finding the right pet homes. Asking questions is a good place to start and if you don't feel right about it, then don't do it. Even though there are a lot of bad owners out there, there are also a lot of good ones who may just need a chance.

I guess I didn't realize how hard to would be to find a good owner for the longer haired rabbits. Houdini was a rescue from a hoarding situation, and perhaps that is why the group was so eager to try him with my girl when I brought her in. I also have a Turkish Angora cat. I have fur on everything I own, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love to brush my babies and find it relaxing. It took a couple weeks to convince Houdini this was a good thing, but now he likes it too (perhaps because he snacks while I brush?). He had been shaved but now his hair is growing out. I collect the wool as I brush and will do something with it someday. For now it doesn't take up much space in a bag. Wouldn't it be cool to have a scarf made from your own bunny?

The rescue was also very good about showing me how to take care of his wool. I wouldn't think a person would take a hairy bun if they didn't want to brush. :?

assuming angoras are the same as fuzzies, when you blow into their coat, if any is loose and coming out... you can generally see the new coat underneath. And then pluck them. I'll post pics of a fuzzy later if I get some time.

Pharfly wrote:
Culling is a common practice in breeding many kinds of animals. Most mouse breeders cull litters to 4-6 some litters are born up to 25, this gives the remaining mice more milk which in turn makes healthier babies. It is a very touchy subject and a lot of people think it's bad. But in fact controling litter sizes, cull ill/deformed babies and pet homing animals that are not quality leaves the breeder with room and time too focus on improving their stock and allows the remining babies a chance to flourish.
Breeders don't like too toss this word around because so many people think it's cruel and unethical, but in all honesty it is done to make better animals.
And Hotmaildeal no one that breeds animals ethically will ever make money off their babies. Only mass breeders who mill their animals make money, but there breeding goal is too pump out as many animals as possible in a short and have no care in their stock.
I am a Breeder and my goal is to improve my breeds one that is a rare but I have a second goal to have my rabbitry one day pay for it self... So I try to sell my culls privately or to local pet stores in most cases they are all show quality in addition I offer a service to those who have other pets who are on special diets and though there vet have referred them to me to help them in there need. So not all who want to make there rabbitrys pay for them selves are uncaring pushing baby after baby out the door.

Added note any rabbit that has something wrong like split penis, wolf teeth and any other known health issue that can be passed down is removed from the breeding program are not sold to become pets for it is unfair to both the pet owner and the rabbit (knock on wood) I have never had any of those issues my self I have been helping a teen who just got into breeding though she had no issues with what needed to be done with the rabbit that had the split penis her mother got very upset over it even took him to the vet who said there is nothing can be done and though he can have a good life right now later on would end up with health issues due to the split penis... the teen chose to bring me the rabbit and I made the arrangements. I truly belive that a cull that is sent to be a pet should have nothing wrong and be just as good a show rabbit... Those who get a rabbit from me know that its a healthy well cared fro rabbit and is they chose to they can show it just have it as a pet. In addition I had someone who wanted a rabbit that was fixed and I sent them to a local human shelter that does not treat breeders as if they are horrible people rather have some respect for what we do.

i'm new to breeding rabbits, and i've only placed 4 so far, but with no problems.

however, i used to work at a humane society, and i volunteered as a foster mom, taking home pets that werent finding homes to place myself. so maybe i can offer some tips that worked for me.

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES !!!

that was back in the old days before there were pc's and social networks, when we walked a mile to school and there were dinosaurs still around. lol.

nowadays, with facebook and myspace and all that its easy to make a page showing off your bunnies. when looking for a bunny, i googled rabbits for sale and checked out all the webpages i could find. unfortunately for me, no jersey woolies in my area. i often ask breeders if they have a website, and suprisingly, a lot say no. usually the older breeders. i met a young breeder at the fair. not only did she have a website, she had cards printed out with her rabbitry info. a great way to find a future customer, they may pass the card to someone else or come looking for you at a later date.

business cards can be put on bulletin boards, some businesses let people put them on the counters, my car insurance place has a glass top over the counter and all the customers cards under it so they dont get ruined. they can be handed out at fairs and shows, your kids or neighbors kids or friends can hand them out at school. you can give them to friends and ask them to put them on their desk or bulletin board at work.

you can also advertise in the pet section of the newspaper or in magazine classified sections.

but let me tell you what really worked for me back in the day as a foster mom~

a 10 year old black scruffy little mutt missing the hair off its butt... impossible to place you think? not!

i would take a picture and tape it to a piece of paper with the story below. then i would run off copies on a copier. (remember no pcs then)

Hi, my name is Mutty. I'm old. are you old too? people think old things dont have much to offer. but you and i both know its not true. i have a lot of love left to give. so what if im not beautiful? beauty is skin deep. but inside is a warm loving sweet caring heart that is lonely and sad because i have no one to share my love with. we could sit on the couch together and watch the price is right. i could bark and let you know if a burgler is breaking in the window one night. you dont have to worry about walking me too much, my arthritis is just as bad as yours. i dont eat much, just like you, and i'll be grateful for whatever you can give me, but most of all, neither of us will ever be lonely again. Are you lonely? call this number and talk to my foster mom. she said im too sweet of a dog to be put to sleep just because im old. she cried and brought me home and said somewhere, someone would love a little dog like me. Is that person you? please call. when my foster mom finds me a new home, then she'll be able to bring another old dog home and save them too. we're waiting for you to call, and i promise to be the best little dog you ever had and give you kisses all day long. Love, Mutty

then i would plaster these posters on bulletin boards in laundromats and grocery stores everywhere.

and you know what? some old lady would call and say I'm calling about that little dog mutty...

i had a photo album filled with photos of all the animals i saved- dogs cats old newborn ugly deformed etc pictures and pictures of animals with glazed old eyes looking up at you that went off and found someone.

for bunnies- the same principle but a different story-

Hi, my name is Happy. I'm a dwarf bunny who is 6 years old. I need a new home. I'm looking for a little boy who needs help with his homework. You can tell the teacher i ate it, and then we can go play! just kidding! i like boys, but girls are kinda yucky dont you think? unless you have a sister, and then i guess we could forgive her being a girl, its not her fault. i dont like dogs or other animals, i want to be the only pet, king of your castle. I'll share my carrots with you! hey tell mom you will eat more carrots if you can have a bunny, she'll love that! everybody else you know probably has a cat or dog, so how cool would that be to have something different and have a bunny? can i come to school for show and tell? the other kids will be jealous, ha ha! have mom call my owner and ask about me. betsey will tell her all about how to take care of me and what i need. go do your homework right now to show mom how responsible you can be, and then beg her to call! I cant wait to check out your bedroom! call me and we can be Happy together! love, Your New Bunny

lol!

another favorite trick for finding an animal a new home- invite possible new owners over to your house under a ruse- for example invite over friends and coworkers for hot dogs on the grill one sunday. then put the rabbit in a cage right on display in the backyard where everyone can see him well. then talk about how you're trying to find it a new home, and if they know anyone who might be interested, could they please put them in touch with you.

another trick- volunteer to take somebodys kids you know to the park. take the bunny with in a small cage. the kids will attract other kids and make you seem safer not like a child molester. the rabbit will attract them like magnets. mention to the moms you are looking for a new home for it cause you have too many rabbits, and ask them if they would like your rabbitry business card to give to anyone they know who might be interested.

put a big sign in your front yard- Rabbit For Sale Please knock at the back door and ask to see!

do whatever you gotta do to reel them in. then when you find someone, make sure it will be a good home by educating them. give them a list of proper food, written instructions on how to properly care for, show then how to hold it properly and make them practice till you're sure they've got it right, tell them how to clean the cage, what not to feed it, recommend a good rabbit vet in case they ever need one, etc etc and make sure they know if it doesnt work out to bring it back. i think how well a bunny will do in a new home really depends on the person selling the rabbit and how well they inform and educate the new owner on everything they need to know. people nod their head but forget things- write it all down!

i hope some of these ideas will help you if you are trying to find a bunny a new home.

remember- i was searching for a rabbit. i googled. nothing. went to the fair and a breeder there heard me talking to people asking about jerseys- and he came up to me and said i heard you asking and i have a litter at home- and i said do you have a website and he said no. you dont have to be a computer whiz to make a facebook page for your bunnies. there are people out there looking for rabbits, and there are possible homes waiting= you just need to get the word out.

BIG SIGN IN YOUR YARD PEOPLE! free advertising to everyone who drives by!

good luck and best wishes- now go get those new homes! :biggrin:

i dont think you want to put sign out by your house,

#1 people can come and steal them
#2 AC or USDA can come out and take them from you...

Those are my 2 biggest fear, And there are a lot of people getting in trouble with the USDA! Nothing to be messing with!

I don't currently breed but am possibly considering it in the future after I show some rabbits. I am unsure how I will find homes for my unshowable bunnies but there are some great ideas on here.

As a side note. I don't think that this topic got nearly as heated as some other forums I've seen. Actually I think that everyone seemed to be on their best behavior. Thanks for this topic as I am learning all I can about breeding and how to find homes for nonshowable bunnies.

Latest posts

Back