What do I need to know *before* showing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best advice I could offer is...

Don't expect to win your first time out. Or your second time... Or third. Or really, your first year, if you pick up a breed like Mini Rex, Netherlands, or Hollands. The only way to do well starting out is to choose a breed that's not popular in your area, and where's the fun in that?

Don't get discouraged if the judges don't like your rabbits right away. Getting good stock takes work- years of work. There is always going to be someone more experienced who has worked for YEARS in their breed.

Buy top stock- the best you can afford. Shop around- really, a good start is the key to success because years down the road, that first sire you used will still be influencing your herd. Don't settle for anything less than the best you can find. Don't buy something because it's cute. Most breeders won't mind if you ask a judge to tell you about a rabbit you are thinking about buying. It's better to know what you are looking at- and more, what you are looking for.Research common faults and go out of your way to find some stock without those faults (like slipped crown in Holland lops) and don't let those things affect your herd. Cull HARD. Don't keep a rabbit out of a litter because it's sweet, or friendly, keep it for it's type and only keep those that are improvements on your current stock.

I'll probably think of more and add to it....

I would start with an older rabbit (senior for the breed) that the breeder thinks will do well or that has done well at shows. It can be a bit of a gamble if you buy a young rabbit as they can change before they become adults. Get the breeder to go over the rabbit with you so they can explain how the rabbit fits the standard and any faults it might have. You should read the standard for the breed so you at least have a good idea of major faults and disqualifications.

Attend at least one show before you enter any rabbits. It helps you get an idea of what goes on, what you are expected to do and bring and you can chat with breeders and other rabbit people about rabbits.

You might want to enter some smaller shows before you go to the big ones in your area. County fairs generally have rabbit shows, but some are better than others. Doing shows that the local rabbit club helps put on (or at least lists on their website) can be better than just any fair. You would be able to talk with the judge about your rabbit (after the judging takes place) and it should be less stressful than a big show with hundreds of rabbits.

I would pick a breed where you have some competition, but not too much. Holland lops are very popular, so unless you have an excellent rabbit, you might not do well. An English lop might leave you with the only rabbit, so you win by default and not necessary because you have a great rabbit. It is also harder to get the rabbit a grand champion without a few other exhibitors in the breed.

Ok, so I'm thinking about it. And I am looking into Holland and American Fuzzy Lops. I need a small breed. I think I might have found a Sr buck. My next question, do bucks need any special care? Do they spray?

Oh, and how do I know Im getting a good rabbit. I dont exactly have a rabbit judge on call.

If you can, talk to different breeders and after talking to them about showing you can see how much knowledge they have. The rabbit world is a lot nicer than he dog world of showing, most breeders have no problem giving their advice.
I'd say go to a couple shows and watch the breeds your interested in shown, and see what the judges look at.

Bucks don't need any special care persay. They can and will spray. I don't have that problem in my herd, my rabbits generally only spray when they get a doe.

Definitely have some breeders look at him first. Even post him on here- there are several people who will tell you matter of factly what the problems are with him. Again don't buy him because he's cute but because he's a nice rabbit.

I recomend starting with a less popular breed. It's easy to become discouraged with breeds like that.

I guess it differs in every area, but are American Fuzzy Lops popular? I really like them and there are a few Seniors for sale. Ill post pics.

i know in my area the fuzzy lops are not really popular yet...there are a few breeders with some breeding and showing stock though

Whipple wrote:
Oh, and how do I know Im getting a good rabbit. I dont exactly have a rabbit judge on call.

Most judges are very helpful if you ask their opinion on a rabbit you are considering buying. Before the show starts is a good time to approach the judge or a registrar to help you out. Remember, that the judge should not be evaluating rabbits that he/she may bejudging later during the day.

I prefer not to be detained after a show - like most judges, I usually have a long trip home and need to hit the road. ;)

One common newbie mistake - asking many questions during judging and attempting to carry on a conversation with the judge. It can be distracting for the judge to continually stop to answer during judging, so it's best to wait until after breed judging is completed. Avoid indicating ownership of your rabbit or loudly proclaiming all the awards your rabbit has previously won. Any attempts to influence the judge can result in the disqualification of all your entries.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Whipple wrote:

Most judges are very helpful if you ask their opinion on a rabbit you are considering buying. Before the show starts is a good time to approach the judge or a registrar to help you out. Remember, that the judge should not be evaluating rabbits that he/she may be judging later during the day.

I prefer not to be detained after a show - like most judges, I usually have a long trip home and need to hit the road. ;)

One common newbie mistake - asking many questions during judging and attempting to carry on a conversation with the judge. It can be distracting for the judge to continually stop to answer during judging, so it's best to wait until after breed judging is completed. Avoid indicating ownership of your rabbit or loudly proclaiming all the awards your rabbit has previously won. Any attempts to influence the judge can result in the disqualification of all your entries.

Pam

Exactly what she said. I just went to a rabbit show, and there are SOOOO many rabbits, even at a small show it is fast paced. You just got to look up as much info as possible on the particular breed you are interested in. Many people at a show will love to talk to you and tell about their rabbits.

Those who are saying get a lesser known breed... In a way thats not always a good option especially for someoen whose never done any sort of breeding, rasiing, showing exc...

Yeah the judge may give you an award, but when your rabbit is the only one there, you have no compition to learn what the rabbit is suppose to be like. You wont win any leggs, if theres not a certain number of rabbits there. exc...

You need a place to have set up where you can keep improving the breed standards. Get the best quality rabbits you possibly can.

I'm getting back into it, and I'm going for 2 breeds that are not common, but I know how to look up breeders, this defiently isn't my first go round with selective breeding rabbits, this time its just more of a challenge this time because I am constantly searching online for information about them, ohio breeders, exc...

Just honestly though, you mentioned you'd have to keep them in your apartment, if there is no way to have hutches outside your house, I would NOT breed rabbits.

I'm planning on moving into a house in March, and I wouldn't want to breed anything before that.

Anyhow, I found a couple of bucks. I'll add a few pictures. The first is a 3 yr old with 6 legs. The second is a 6 month, but his pics are from 5 months of age.

GetAttachment.aspx

GetAttachment.aspx

GetAttachment.aspx

I have Holland Lops, Mini Rexes and English Spots. I have onwed rabbits for five years, however, I am going to my third show coming up. I would have attended more shows, but my parents have a crazy schedule and I have school and horses and other animals. Anyways...

I have a very good breeder to buy English Spots from. She raises top of the line and her rabbits always are doing good (no bragging intended), especially at the conventions, etc.. BUT! I pay a high price for them. Also, I have to be patient as she does not always have a rabbit for sale, she keeps some, but I'm not too close to her, so she sells "locally" faster, too. So with excellent show stock, it's cost and patience.

I have a Holland Lop buck I bought and when I showed him the first time, he placed 16 out of 20 and got a NP (no place). Due to small head, molting coat, etc., however, he just went through his second growth. Hollands go through a "second growth period", which means their heads get bigger and wider. Some breeders have had rabbits that did LOUSY and just before they decided to cull them, they fully matured at 2-3 years of age and now those rabbits have Grand Champs on them and are producing so. Again, a lot of time, patience, and working with.

Mini Rex: Some colors are "tricky" so to speak. I got a lynx (the breeder labeled him a Lilac) from a breeder who "bred show quality" but he sold me a rabbit that had a major DQ: he was a Lynx with a blue undercoat. I never thought to look because I was told he was a Lilac, and he sort of looked like one, but partially my error as I never looked into the Lilacs and Lynxes. My mistake, my error, but now I know.

There can be a lot of disappointments. You can make an expensive and time consuming trip to a show and do horrible, fairly decent or very good! My very first show, I didn't do too bad, my second, pretty much got last or second from last, this show, I have some better rabbits and one that just went through a second growth.

I don't know how old you are, but if you can't drive, you have to make sure your parents will be willing to spend all day at a show. I'm lucky, my whole family LOVES rabbit shows. So, it's not a big deal. But they can be costly. We just spent about $150 including hotel, entry fees, and food and spent all day at a show, sore from standing, and, well, I didn't do so good. But we love it, so it wasn't that bad. We also got some good stock that day.

Also, like someone else mentioned, it's best to leave the judge to do his/her job while judging. I can't stand when people (especially the youth) start bragging about how amazing their rabbit does and brags to everyone and points out what's wrong with a rabbit during judging (not saying you or anyone here would do that, just ranting about some problems I had at a show LOL).

They are lots of fun, and a great place to learn and buy some good stock. I'm excited because I'm purchasing a nice English Spot buck from my friend. I have eight rabbits, three are not show.

Good luck! :) The pictures didn't come through, so I couldn't see them. Good luck and have fun!

Ok, so I am seriously considering getting the first buck. There is another fuzzy lop breeder in edmonton that the bucks owner reffered me to. Is there anyone who knows fuzzies enough to give me some opinions?

New question. I read that a rabbit can be shown if not registered, so is there anyway to get a pure but not registered rabbit registered? And how does this relate to pedigrees? This is very confusing for me.

Ok, so the only thing confusing me now is this. You need a pedigree. But do the ancestors need to be registered? Or just certain ones? I know it needs to be 3 generations, how do you know the pedigree is real?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for all the help.

alrighty:

explains a pedigree: http://www.showbunny.com/pedigree.html

anndddd

I believe if you have a pair of unpedigreed rabbits, it will take 3 generations from there on to get one with a pedigree. If you do end up showing and the rabbit does well and you eventually want to start it into a breeding program, it would take an additional 3 generations of breeding to pedigreed rabbits of the same breed before the offspring would be considered fully recognized

Ok, so they have to have the left ear tattooed to show right? Then that goes in the pedigree as proof the rabbit actually exsisted?

Edit: Ok, so the pedigree is a matter of trust? Hmm, so different from dogs. So if a Fuzzy was bred to a Holland, can that cross be bred back to a fuzzy and put on the pedigree as a fuzzy? How does that work? As I heard Fuzzies are often bred to Hollands to help with coat.

I don't think so. I mean thats tainted blood there. I'd PM either Pamnock or the flemish giant lady (forgive me for forgetting your name) They're two great ones to ask about that. I just don't see how then can have a good pedigree thats mixed. I dunno though cause i heard that done with Hotos as well. But yeah I'd ask one of them for sure.

and yeah you got to get their ears tattooed. If your getting the fuzzies with a pedigree they will already be done. Or SHOULD.

and you can get the tattos at a show for like 2 bucks. Or if you really start breeding them its easiest to get your own gun. They've got new stuff out since I've really had rabbits lol.

We always used a clamp and aparnetly now theres a gun lol. Seemed lots easier.

Latest posts

Back