What do I do with a stubborn doe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasMari

Reaction score
Well I had a doe staying in the same cage as the buck I wanted her to mate with. They got along so well that I figured to leave them together. They are both about 11 months old and I don't believe the doe has been bred before. I've seen the buck mount her before but she is not interested. She doesn't get mad, she just lays there. It's been about 2 months and now I'm housing them apart thinking that maybe they will be excited when I try to breed them again later. I've also started putting apple cider vinegar in the does water starting yesterday.

Are there any other tips or techniques I can try?

you can take her to him a few times a day to make her coem on or swop them cages.
I have found does harder to breed if they are a bit older

I have heard cases of does who just aren't interested in breeding what so ever. Have you taken a look at her genitals? If they are light pink she isn't usually going to want to be bred, if they are a dark pink or purply colour then she should be ''in the mood''. Also, what is the weather like, some rabbits totally go off breeding if the weather is very hot.

Also, what breed is your rabbit? As far as I know, 11 months is considered too old for a doe to be breed the first time because her pelvic bones would have fused, which can cause long and painful labour in rabbits, stuck kits and pencil kits.

Take her for a ride in the car. A slight amount of stress is great for getting them in the mood. If I have a doe that won't breed I take her to a rabbit show. The excitement of all the rabbits usually puts them in the mood. 11 months old is not too old for a doe to be bred for the first time.

Roger

In my opinion, 11 months is too old to breed a doe for the first time. Does should be bred right around 6 months of age. Any later than 8 or 9 months can be dangerous and result in kindling complications.

My show does are shown until they are just under a year and then bred. The do fine kindling. Maybe hollands needs to be bred earlier but I have no problem with mini-rex.

Roger

It can depend on the breed you have as well a lot of fur breeds (bigger rabbits) mature a bit later so they can be older for their first litter.

I was always told after a year old its more risky.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
In my opinion, 11 months is too old to breed a doe for the first time. Does should be bred right around 6 months of age. Any later than 8 or 9 months can be dangerous and result in kindling complications.
This is right for smaller breeds, but for a large breed 6 months is too young for a first litter. Even for Standard Rex, which are not that big really, most breeders like to wait until 8 months, and for a British/Conti. Giant for example you wouldn't want to breed them before they are 10 months as they are very slow to mature, mine took 14 months before she stopped growing.

A bit of apple cider vinegar in the does water is often suggested, I recently tried it on a stubborn doe myself and it worked!

I just remember someone on her bred a doe at 11 months, everyone said she was too old and the doe had a pencil kit.

Any doe at any age can have a pencil kit if there is only one or two kits and the doe is overfed when she is pregnant.

Roger

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
Any doe at any age can have a pencil kit if there is only one or two kits and the doe is overfed when she is pregnant.

Roger

Ya I know it's just what I read from the breeders on here 11 months is too old for a small breed, because their pelvic bones have fused.

Thanks everyone for the great info, I am planning on giving her acv in her water and then trying to breed her on June 7th which is the next full moon. I know it sounds superstisios (sp) but why not try it. lol

I have a stubborn Champagne Doe that would never lift for me (To this date she has not lifted for me once, but has kindled two successful litters.) . And the last time I tried to breed my Himmie girl? She wanted nothing to do with him. A lot of breeders call it the tickle the tail method, really, it's forced breeding. I can't really begin to explain but basically, you reach under her, and lift for her, so the buck can get her.

if a doe is in shape[not molting,to fat or thin ]and after trying once a day over a four day period, I then put one hand on her head and the other hand under her,then as the buck starts to earn his food I'll lift her rear up for him if that doesn,t work she is them removed from the breeding herd,luck.:pullhair:

Latest posts

Back