what do i do? (Resolved)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok my doe that was going to have her babies has 8 babies so far and that was yesterday morning well they was late cause she usually does on the 30 day mark well yesterday was the 32 day mark and theres still baby movement in her belly and she is still panting and shes pulling more fur what do i do to help her i really dont want to loose her :nerves1 :anyone: oh and she hardly lets me touch her stomach for me to message her belly

i dont think any is stuck cause she aint bleeding but i was thinking that to though i or my dad cant afford the vet we have no money atm :( im hoping she has them tonight

What breed of rabbit is she? Are you sure that what you're feeling is babies? I only ask because 8 is a pretty full litter, unless you have a large rabbit. Is the doe nursing her babies? If she does still have unborn kits she needs oxytocin from a vet.

Without knowing how to properly palpate, it's difficult to determine if a kit is being retained. Generally, a doe will sit in the box and strain when trying to pass a stuck kit. However, these efforts will generally cease after a day or two. A retained kit may mummfy or may begin to decay which can be fatal. In some cases, the stuck kit is sticking out and can be pulled out with firm, steady pressure (care must be taken not to pull the kit apart!) Oxytocin can also be given, but in cases when it isn't effective, the kit must be removed surgically. Over the years, we've had to deal with each of these scenerios.

It's not abnormal for a doe to continue to pull fur after kindling. Do you know anyone who can accurately palpate and determine if there even is a stuck kit? If not, without taking the doe to the vet, it's impossible to know if she's still retaining babies. At this point in gestation, I'm questioning the bunny "movement" - it's very tight quarters in the amniotic sac. Massaging the doe's belly is of no help in passing a retained kit.

shes a hannah/satin and other breed mix and i could be thinking wrong i felt her again today and i didnt feel nothing so i could be just to worried and couldnt get out of my head to i dotn see nothign sticking out and she is starting to calm down i also started thinking it could have been muscle spasms to and i thought that was baby movement XD she is my oldest doe and had a stressful pregnancy so i started worrying when she started acting like she did pulling fur a day before and having those babies late as it was caused me to worry but she is nursing her babies i check on them to make sure which she doesnt mind me checking on them which their all doing fine with little bellies

she has 8 healthy tiny babies and good news her mood is coming back up and shes coming to the front of the cage to greet me like normal :D so i dont think i have to worry no more XD so i am sry to say i most likely freaked out like someone would on their first litter but nope thats her 4th liter and i raised other litters from other does as well :big wink:

Please don't take this the wrong way- I suggest you do not allow her to breed anymore unless you have money available in case something goes wrong and she needs to see a vet. Start a fund for that purpose. Having pets and no way to help them in an emergency is not responsible pet keeping.

I kind of want to agree with elliot. If you aren't prepared to loose a doe and babies from the risks of breeding and/or cannot take them into a vet to be cared for when they need it, it is probably best breeding should not occur.

We recently had a doe who had to have her babies taken away, fostered, and she was off to the vet because she didnt want to eat or feed her babies. We were not prepared to loose her or the babies so actions were taken to prevent it. Breeding should not be taken lightly and is a big risk for those who take it seriously. Loosing a rabbit that is valuable to a breeding herd is not something on my to do list. . .

I know this time everything turned out okay but just think what if it didnt?

i know breeding aint to be taken lightly and i am prepared to loose babies which i have before and loose the doe to i grew up with my grandma raising rabbits i take great responsibility for them i know she was just stressed cause a cage with her in it fell and i myself took it wrong the way she was acting i should have never posted this thread XD but hey what can i say i freaked out and i have been doing it for a while so i do agree and i been trying to get a job and my dad helps me most the time if i had to take them to a vet for emergency he would do so cause he also is in love with my rabbits :D i myself may not have money but i know i can rely on my dad so do be reassured :D my dad if it was an emergancy would pay for the vet :D

Wasn't the possibility that there was a stuck kit an emergency? Even when you THOUGHT there was a stuck kit?

i didnt think there was one stuck i just thought there was some left in her and they being stubborn to come out :D her mood is picking up and all her babies are healthy i have pics of them to :D

Latest posts

Back