What do I do about sore hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lifted07Duramax

Reaction score
My rabbit is almost 3years old and had a sore hocks problem a year ago. I went and got some kind of goo medication from the vet and only used it a few times til he got a lot better and I stopped so I still had some left.

A week ago I bring him on the bed and theres blood all over the bed. Hes feet were bleeding pretty good. I patted them off with a wet cloth and then put some of the medication on him.
He immediately cleaned his feet off. I have tried bandaid with tape around it, Ive tried sticky gauze and he pulls it off.
And I cant get him to stop licking it. I bet it would get better but he is constantly licking at the bottom of his feet cause I bet it hurts but all hes doing is making it more raw and not allowing any meds to help.

he is an indoor bunny in a plastic cage, He has been there all his life. I have since gotten him some soft bedding as his litter and also a small dog bed that is soft so he can sit in it. Which he seems to love.

Any ideas on what I can do

Try putting the medication on and then putting newborn socks on his feet, vet wrapped around the top to keep them from coming off. It'll keep him from licking. Just don't wrap it so tight it cuts off his circulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Here's a visual.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/bunny-trouble-69718/index2.html

You should have your bun checked by your vet too. Because there are open sores now, and bleeding, your rabbit is at risk of developing an infection and may need antibiotics as well as some pain meds.

I have anti biotics too from the last time he went.

Does rimadyl expire? I gave him .3ml and its a year old but instead of just laying down hes hoping around a lot in his cage, so Im guessing it either made him crazy or he isn't feeling the pain as much.

Ill try and get him into the vet but they charge $50 just for a visit. Id rather just buy more ointment, pain meds, antibiotics and take care of it myself.
Its like us going to the doctor, we pay a copay just to have them tell us what we already knew, then we have to go pay for the meds lol

Where do I get those socks from? Hes sure good at pulling his wrap off his feet though or nawing through it

oh they are baby socks lol, I just re-read it.

Because this is a reoccurring problem and you have already been to the vet for it, you may be able to just phone them and tell them it has come back, then go in to just pick up the meds that you need. I'm not sure about the med expiring. I'm pretty sure antibiotics have to be kept refrigerated or they go bad. This is probably something you could ask as well, when you phone the vet.

I don't know what my bunny has either!!! Is it sore hocks? What do I do about it?

Here is a picture-ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1384104236.121955.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Back