What colour is MY bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nes

Reaction score
When I first bought her cagney was tan with a white belly but she's developed freckling thru her body. What colour is this called? Is it a fault?

DSC04478.jpg

(pictures with hers (brown & white) and her sisters week old kits :))

TX!
Nes.

Great photo! She's a Japanese Harlequin color. Not showable - but often usedfor tri-color breedings (the broken version of Harlequin).

In some cases (such as your girl when she was little), there is little or no black, and the poorly colored harles are mistaken for reds or oranges.

You can also refer to her color as "brindled".

Pam

I know, so cute!! Will she get more black as she ages then? She's just about to turn a year :)

Thanks Pam!!

Nes.

Pam....if she's a harlequin - how could she throw those brokens that don't look like tris? Or are they tris and just don't so all their colors yet? I'm looking at the babies in that picture..

Peg

pamnock wrote:
Great photo! She's a Japanese Harlequin color. Not showable - but often usedfor tri-color breedings (the broken version of Harlequin).

In some cases (such as your girl when she was little), there is little or no black, and the poorly colored harles are mistaken for reds or oranges.

You can also refer to her color as "brindled".

Pam

I think they are tris and just don't have their colour yet :) Abi (her daughter) was born broken brown (as in the picture) but her ears are turning black!

th_DSC_0057.jpg

It will be really neat to see what colour she finishes as!! :)

Her dad was a broken black lop as far as we know - although it could have been the dutchie, abi has alot of the lop lazy bum & big ears characteristics :)

Nes.

The doe's black markings didn't show up when she was little, and she appears to have passed the "minimal black" trait on to her offspring.

If she also carries the "e" gene (I'm rather certain she's not homozygous ej), then it's very plausible that many of her babies didn't inherit the harle gene at all.

Pam

Harlequin markings do darken with age but they are often at their darkest by 6 months of age if not earlier. My harlequin doe used to have very light black markings but they have darkened with age but I haven't noticed a them getting and darker since she was about4.5 months old.

In Zoey's litter there was also a broken orange (no black at all) and the mom was a Harlequin and the dad was a Tri-color. It's not uncommon for it to happen.

Are tri-colours showable?

They are pretty darn cute ;)

It would make sense the harlequin gene wouldn't pass on from Cagney as her full sister of the same little (lacy) is a broken black. (right?)

Nes.

Tri-colors are showable in the Mini Rex. It would be possible for a broken black rabbit with the genotype E ej to recessively carry the harle gene, but not show it.

Pam

Latest posts

Back