What colour Buck would be best?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Unless you dont know I have french lops and have recently bought some new stock. The problem I have now is that I need a buck for breeding and need a little advise as to what would be best.

I currently have does in Blue self, Iron Grey(sallander), Blue butterfly(broken) and orange. The only buck I have is Blue otter.

The blue butterfly and orange are my new additions, now I was thinking to breed blue butterfly with blue otter, but wanted a new buck that I could use on the orange. I was thinking maybe orange self or butterfly or harlequin or tri-coloured(im not too sure of the difference betwen these last 2 though?) If other colours would be more suitable though im open to ideas.

I also want 1 which will be suitable for me to use on any of the other does.

So what do you think will be the best to get, and what colour variations would be likely?

Sorry for so many questions but I really need help!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

yorkshirelops.co.uk

Thanks Pam,

I would like to get oranges but thought if I went for the orange butterfly this may then give me selfs and butterflys?

But would this be suitable for the other does I already have?:?

An orange self would be best to breed to the orange to get oranges in the first generation. You need the dominant agouti gene as well as the recessive non-extension gene to produce orange.

Orange bred to most other varieties is likely to produce Chestnut.

Pam

Back