What color will this cross produce?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheyAutRanch

Reaction score
First, these are my friend's bunnies. I told her to spay mom, which she said she'll do, but she wanted another "litter"(is that correct term with buns?) first... sigh...

Anyhow, mom is the mom to my Freckle, and she said she looks just like him... I believe it's called "charlie"... colored ears, a little color around the eyes, and a freckle or two possibly. Dad is REW. (not the same dad as Freckle's... she got the mom when she was already pregnant)

I was just curious what the heck that would make... I"m really into color genetics in horses, but my curiosity in that crosses over to other species ;) If I understood a site correctly, the "charlie", when bred to solids, gives brokens... two brokens can give a charlie, more brokens, or solids... but I'm clueless where a REW fits in ;)

Jessi

Think of the REW as a colored rabbit with a white sheet over it, hiding all the color genes it is actually carrying. Because of this, it's impossible to determine a possible outcome of breeding the REW to the broken because of all the information that is missing from the equation.

1. We don't know the color or pattern genes your REW is carrying.

2. We don't know the actual variety ofthe broken.

You will probably get both brokens and solids, but to determine the likelihood of what varieties, we'd need more info on the REW's background and litters that the REW has produced.

Pam

Coat Colors of the Domestic Rabbit

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Pam described the REW so well - but I was really dense when I first was learning about it.

It was only when someone explained to me that having a REW is like having a couch cover thrown over the top of your choice. You might have a black couch with a pink couch cover on it (yuck).

The black is still there - it doesn't disappear from the makeup of the couch. It just doesn't show up because of the pink cover (REW genes)covering it up.

Peg

Ok I get it, it's like a max white horse...there's still color under there, you just can't see it due to the white covering it up!

No clue about his background or if he's ever sired other bunnies... I dont' think my friend has had him very long, either...

So what determines REW vs BEW?

Jessi

I'm not Pam and I probably can't explain this as well...but here goes.

When breeders talk about rabbits - they most commonly talk about five genes...a,b,c,d & e.

I'm not going to bore you with all of the genetics behind those genes....I struggle sometimes with them myself.

Ok - so maybe a quick lesson since I know someone will ask.

a tells you what family the rabbit is in - "at" is the tan family, "a" is self (one color), etc. etc.

b determines if the rabbit is black (or blue - but more on that later)(B = black, blue = dominant, b = chocolate, lilac = recessive)

c is a mess for me - it has to do with shading and stuff - but this is where you get your REWs. A small "c" is recessive to everything else.Put two small "c" together and you have "cc" which makes a REW.

d is how diluted the coat color is. If the black rabbit (B) has "dd" in the D spot on the genes - it is not black - but is blue. If the chocolate rabbit (b) has "dd" in the D spot - it becomes lilac.

e has to do with extension of color - like the points and stuff like that.

Anyway - the REW comes from what is on the "c" gene.

BEWs come from the vienna gene which is an additional gene. Most of the time breeders won't even worry about it as it isn't carried in the rabbit. However, if one of the rabbits in your breeding pair has the gene and gives it to the offspring - they will frequently be a mismark- almost with dutch type markings. These are your "vienna marked" or"sport marked" rabbits. The dutch marking gene is a different gene.

If an offpsring gets the vienne gene from each parent...then it becomes- Blue Eyed White. Like the REW, it must have TWO of the genes in order to show it self as a white rabbit.

Hope this helps!

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
If an offpsring gets the vienne gene from each parent...then it becomes- Blue Eyed White. Like the REW, it must have TWO of the genes in order to show it self as a white rabbit.

Ok, so, dad is REW so has both copies of the recessive gene for REW, right? And since mom (who is a rex) is neither REW or BEW, she can't have 2, but is there a chance she has 1?

And... if a rabbit has 2 recessives of either of these, it's white...is there any other way to get a white? And if so, what color eyes would it have?

Wow, rabbit color genetics are MUCH more complicated than horses! I understand horses really well, even have the appaloosa genes down as much as is known... but there's just SO much involved in the rabbits!Then again, that's why they come in sooo many different colors and combos, huh? :)

What makes a harlequin?

Jessi

Thanks for the link, I'll go check it out!

I've always been facinated by genetics... my favorite class of all time was a genetics class I took in undergrad just for the fun of it! I especially love color genetics, as you can SEE it... well, the dominant genes anyhow, and it's fun to look at parents of 2 individuals to try to come up with the individual's possible genetic makeup, and have fun seeing what a cross between those would get you... lol I even had one of my GELDED horses tested just b/c I wanted to know something about his color! See, I"m a nut! :)

Jessi

CheyAutRanch wrote:

Ok, so, dad is REW so has both copies of the recessive gene for REW, right? And since mom (who is a rex) is neither REW or BEW, she can't have 2, but is there a chance she has 1? Yes, REW & BEW can be carried recessively. The dominant normal BEW does not completely mask the recessive and can produce a piebald coloring.

And... if a rabbit has 2 recessives of either of these, it's white...is there any other way to get a white? And if so, what color eyes would it have? A very lightly colored himi can appear to be REW. A couple other genes canproduce brown eyed white.

What makes a harlequin?
The brindlegene in the "E" series "ej".

I have a coat colors link on my site with a lot of photos and genotypes of about 80 varieties:

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Pam

So my friend said the babies all look like momma. And I guess than under the REW he must be a charlie or broken? (mom and babies are charlies)

Just thought I"d update :) NOW maybe she get her spayed? And dad nuetered? I hope? :)

Jessi

Latest posts

Back