What Color to breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love4bunnies

Reaction score
Here is my Tri doe Jasmin.

Could i breed her to a Chocolate Mini Rex buck?

What other colors could i breed her too?

Thanks.

th_Jazmin.jpg

Sorry, I don't know, but I'll move this post the our Rabbitry and Showing section, where there are breeding experts to help you with things like this. :)

Tri's should be bred to tri's or harlequins. I'm not sure what you'll get if you breed her to a chocolate, hopefully someone will be able to tell you more.

That's a really cute litte doe.:D

Hard to tell from the photo, but she appears to be a torted tri (a disqualification for show) as well as booted (a disqualification for show).

Torted tris are the result of using selfs (such as chocolate, black, tort, etc. in a tri breeding program). The torted tri has shading rather than distinct patches of 2 colors.

I'd breed her to a lightly marked tri in hopes of producing some showable tris. Be sure that the tri you breed to is an agouti rather than a self (torted tri).

Pam

Here is a better picture of her.

th_Picture029.jpg

Thank you.I don`t show anyway but just thought i might get pretty bunnys from her.:)

Thanks again.Please let me know if you think she is still a tort-tri.

I am going to breed her with this Harliquin when he gets old enough.

He is a Mini Rex/dwarf mix.

th_i220478896_93467_7.jpg

If the bunnies are just for pet, and not for show, then the color combinations really don't matter. I don't recommend breeding just for the sake of getting pretty bunnies though ;)

Pam

Hi,

Thanks but i enjoy it as the 4-H kids around here are always looking for bunnies but i don`t breed very often as i don`t have alot of bunnies.Only 4 at the moment.None of breeding age.

I was a member of the MRBA for years.When i first started showing it was the Valley Fur and Feather and it was alot of fun with only a few members but now that it is bigger i find people are getting too igorant.Plus the shows are too far away for me to attend.

Thanks.:)

I wouldn't sell a 4-Her a rabbit that I wouldn't show in an open show, personally. It doesn't really help to teach them what they need to look for in a show rabbit. I was a 4-Her for years, and bought all my "show" rabbits from breeders who were selling me their culls, and I didn't know it. When I did get into regular open shows, I had to re-learn everything I thoughtI knew.

I also wouldn't provide a rabbit to a youth that I wouldn't show myself.

4H kids are only one step away from ARBA shows and the competition among

youth is very tough. I have been beaten more than once by youth when they

show in open. It is very discouraging for the kids that have a rabbit that may

be a wonderful pet but can't compete on the show table. Why have them put

all the work into a rabbit that can't compete when they could be showing top

notch rabbits. It makes me happy to see a youth get their first good win with

a rabbit that I have given them.

Roger

I agree that 4-Hers shouldbe sold ARBA show quality animals. Most 4-H rules go by the ARBA standard, except for actually disqualifying animals. I place all rabbits with ARBA disqualifications at the bottom of 4-H classes and explain the disqualifications and faults to the youth.

Pet quality rabbits should not be sold as 4-H projects.

Pam

Hi,

I am sorry if everone took me wrong.

They have a fun show up here for 4-H kids and they do not need show quality rabbits as a girl came and bought a Holland Lop mix from me and told me she was taking it to the fun show.

I live in Canada so there is no ARBA here.I think our shows may be a little different then yours but it has been so long since i showed i can`t remember.

I thank you all very much but i would not sell a 4-H kid a rabbit for a big show that was not showable.

Thanks for your comments.:)

The ARBA is very active in Canada as well as other countries. There are ARBA shows up in your area, just not so many. You should consider joining again. Take a look at the ARBA website www.arba.net and check out the list of shows. I am sure you will find at least one near you:)

Sharon

Hi,

Just checked it out and they are in Ontario and BC.

None near me at all.

I am in Nova Scotia way down east.

We have Judges here from USAjudgingmost of our shows.Unless that is what you are calling ARBA shows?

I have been out of therabbit showsfor so long and things have changed so forgive me if i am wrong.Lol;)

I live about an hour from Halifax.

Thanks.:)

Even though ARBA is called the American Rabbit Breeders Association, it is the organization that most likely sanctions the shows that are held in your area. There is no national Canadian breeders association. A lot of people both from US and Canada that live along the border of the two countries take trips back and forth for shows. Most youth-only rabbit shows at fairs are not sanctioned with ARBA. But I would bet that larger, open (adult), shows are.

Nova Scotia is in ARBA District 7. Here is the contact info for the director of your district:

Paul Kyle
7859 Tater Rd
Memphis, NY 13112-9735

Phone: (315)626-2452

I think this is a Nova Scotia club:

ROYALE RABBIT BREEDERS ASSOCIATION

City/State:
BEAR RIVER NS

Secretary:
MOLLY MCLAUGHLIN

RR1 ANNAPOLIS ROYAL NS

CANADA B0S 1A0,

(here is the direct link: http://www.arba.net/cgi-bin/charteredclub.cgi- search 'foreign')

I also agree with the others. You never know which youth will really get into rabbits and try to show their pets in a 'real' show. If they have a rabbit that is already show quality, and do well they will be encouraged to continue in this wonderful hobby. But having a cute rabbit that is placed lowfor an obvious disqualification can be very discouraging to a youth.

It is just as easy to breed rabbits to a standard as it is to breed mixes. If you are planning on selling rabbits to 4H'ers I encourage you to stick to purebreds and strive for show quality.

Hi,

:bunnydance:Oh ok now i understand.Please excuse me but it must be my old age catching up with me.:(

Thanks for the info.

Well i guess i have to go rabbit hunting and not with a gun LOL.

Thanks again.:)

Lol! Old age or not, this rabbit business can be confusing!! :biggrin2:

Good luck on your hunt. I think it's great that you help out 4H'ers. They need good mentors and role models. :great:

Latest posts

Back