what color is your guess ;p

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrenhound

Reaction score
this little guy came from a Chocolate X Fawn breeding.

curious about what color you believe he is?

asking on here because you guys typically know rabbits lol and i have frankly heard a few things

some have claimed :

red
tort
choc tort or smutty orange
castor (umm not seeing it)
fawn
1478913_10203564999269730_296281378_n.jpg

1460001_10203565000309756_1269749750_n.jpg

1544571_10203565001069775_2022441417_n.jpg

1554622_10203565002909821_717223508_n.jpg

sorry multiple pictures are for you to get an idea of his general color. ears , nose and tail are slightly darker.

thoughts?

Not sure but looks like orange. If cute is a color you hit it dead on.
thanks =] he is a sweetie.
i have had rex rabbits first angora he is the only rabbit i have had that enjoys a fan
10152051_10203561692707068_372754473_n.jpg

found the fan next to the dog crate =p

This website might be of much more help because they are angora colors: http://www.bumblebeeacres.com/EnglishAngoraRainbowofColors.htm

I am going to guess fawn, chocolate tort, copper agouti, or lynx. The darker markings on the tips of his ears is not what a fawn should have.
Do you have the other colors that are in the background to determine recessive genes?
Fawn: A_ __ C_ D_ ee
Chocolate: aa bb C_ D_ E_

Our old girl (been gone six years now), Commander Bun Bun used to go upstairs and jump against the office door til she knocked it open so she could lay on the floor vent--she liked the air conditioning. Just glad she wasn't a cord chewer. Our bunnies have so many little quirks and do such funny things!

according to what Im seeing the colors i suggested could be a possibility. Though Im starting to doubt copper. I posted your question on another thread that has some big genetics gurus and will let you know what they think :)

according to what Im seeing the colors i suggested could be a possibility. Though Im starting to doubt copper. I posted your question on another thread that has some big genetics gurus and will let you know what they think :)

thanks! i am rather curious about it myself .

his breeder thought red i am thinking fawn and that he might moult the ear coloring or be smutty fawn

Got some answers for you!

"I'd say Chocolate Tort.
Lovely Angora!"

"fawn.
tort wouldn't have the eye circles.
angoras don't separate orange -- anything lighter than a red with brown eyes is a fawn. with blue eyes is a cream. Sidd - Orange genotype is tricky - varies by breed -- some it has to be chocolate-base, some a low rufus black-base. I forget which Hollands are.

color on the tips of the ears is 'smut' -- really common in the fawns. This is actually very little smut compared to most I've seen (including mine). Regardless of breed, you usually get more smut on fawns from 'mixed color' pedigrees and less if they are pure red/fawn/cream (better modifiers for no smut if you don't mix). Angora folks do a lot of mixing colors (and color is only a few points, so you lose basically nothing for smut), so smut is really common in angoras.

The nice bright color (as well as looks like chocolate on both sides of the pedigree) makes me think it is a chocolate-based (bb) fawn -- though you want to look at that eartip color really closely to decide whether it is black (B-D-), chocolate (bbD-) or even blue (B-dd). Theoretically, the blue-based should have blue eyes and so be creams -- but a lot seem to pop with brown eyes or eyes that start blue and darken to brown (which would be a DQ for other breeds - angoras just shift to show as a dark cream). Lilac-base (bbdd) almost always stay paler and have the purple-blue eyes (show as cream).
super cute by the way and really lovely color. "

some more discussion:
"annoys the geneticist in me (who wants consistency and each color to be one genotype - preferably standardized across all the breeds) - but the 'lumping' method used for the angoras (if it is REALLY high rufus it's a red, if it has blue eyes it's a cream, everything else is fawn) works pretty well and probably leads to less arguments over which something is. With only 5 points on color (and the show classifications just 'white' and 'colored' with almost every color accepted) angora folks tend to not sweat the details on color.

Need the right modifiers to get rid of smut - starting with wideband (ww) but others too. I find the angora breeders do a lot of color mixing (maybe because we show 'colored' as a single group? or just because with only 5 points on color its pretty much either a DQ or show quality - no in between?). Interestingly, the red angoras tend to not be smutty -- I assume because the only way to keep that really high rufus is to keep breeding red to red - which lets one simultaneously keep the proper modifiers. "

My Plush Lop doe is a similar colouring just her tips are darker. I would say fawn for both our buns but then my buns father is a choc tort.

Got some answers for you!

"I'd say Chocolate Tort.
Lovely Angora!"

"fawn.
tort wouldn't have the eye circles.
angoras don't separate orange -- anything lighter than a red with brown eyes is a fawn. with blue eyes is a cream. Sidd - Orange genotype is tricky - varies by breed -- some it has to be chocolate-base, some a low rufus black-base. I forget which Hollands are.

color on the tips of the ears is 'smut' -- really common in the fawns. This is actually very little smut compared to most I've seen (including mine). Regardless of breed, you usually get more smut on fawns from 'mixed color' pedigrees and less if they are pure red/fawn/cream (better modifiers for no smut if you don't mix). Angora folks do a lot of mixing colors (and color is only a few points, so you lose basically nothing for smut), so smut is really common in angoras.

The nice bright color (as well as looks like chocolate on both sides of the pedigree) makes me think it is a chocolate-based (bb) fawn -- though you want to look at that eartip color really closely to decide whether it is black (B-D-), chocolate (bbD-) or even blue (B-dd). Theoretically, the blue-based should have blue eyes and so be creams -- but a lot seem to pop with brown eyes or eyes that start blue and darken to brown (which would be a DQ for other breeds - angoras just shift to show as a dark cream). Lilac-base (bbdd) almost always stay paler and have the purple-blue eyes (show as cream).
super cute by the way and really lovely color. "

some more discussion:
"annoys the geneticist in me (who wants consistency and each color to be one genotype - preferably standardized across all the breeds) - but the 'lumping' method used for the angoras (if it is REALLY high rufus it's a red, if it has blue eyes it's a cream, everything else is fawn) works pretty well and probably leads to less arguments over which something is. With only 5 points on color (and the show classifications just 'white' and 'colored' with almost every color accepted) angora folks tend to not sweat the details on color.

Need the right modifiers to get rid of smut - starting with wideband (ww) but others too. I find the angora breeders do a lot of color mixing (maybe because we show 'colored' as a single group? or just because with only 5 points on color its pretty much either a DQ or show quality - no in between?). Interestingly, the red angoras tend to not be smutty -- I assume because the only way to keep that really high rufus is to keep breeding red to red - which lets one simultaneously keep the proper modifiers. "
Thank You! that was very well detailed and informed . i was curious as i am still learning rabbit genetics and know it is common to mix colors in angoras so we weren't 100% sure WHAT he was color wise but I was betting on a smutty fawn that may or may not lose it after a molt. i may end up showing him as well at some point we are not sure yet.

thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back