What color is this baby bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
Fellow breeders, I need your help! Is the rabbit pictured below a lynx, cream, or other color? I am leaning towards lynx, based on the shading and genetics. The white spot in its head is a Vienna mark.

Parents: Blue / Cream Harlequin + BEW (presumed chestnut)
Siblings: BEW, Black, Opal VM, Blue / Cream Harlequin VM, and Blue Magpie

PXL_20210725_185615287.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Here's a picture of the coloring a few days ago:
PXL_20210722_014014255.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Thank you!

Thank you. It's definitely not like any creams I've had before, any chance it could be a lynx? If not, my best guess is orange.
It's definitely not a lynx. Lynx is very uncommon in that breed, and they are born dark and get lighter with age (as the lilac tips to their fur is the first thing that grows in). As a baby, a (true) lynx will look like a lilac otter. This kit definitely does not look like a lilac otter.

It's definitely not a lynx. Lynx is very uncommon in that breed, and they are born dark and get lighter with age (as the lilac tips to their fur is the first thing that grows in). As a baby, a (true) lynx will look like a lilac otter. This kit definitely does not look like a lilac otter.
So interesting! I was starting to realize it was a rarer color, as I found very little information through research. This baby was born a light color (I thought it was a BEW at first), then got darker with age. I'm settled that it's an orange VM!

Its sibling on the other hand... I assumed it was an opal VM from birth, as there are many in the parents' pedigrees. However, I'm starting to wonder if it's a chinchilla VM.
PXL_20210725_185438084.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
Sorry if the picture makes it hard to tell the true coloring. Here is from when it was a few days old:
PXL_20210722_014350553.PORTRAIT.jpg
Thank you! I still have SO much to learn, for some reason this litter has thrown some unexpected colorings lol.

So interesting! I was starting to realize it was a rarer color, as I found very little information through research. This baby was born a light color (I thought it was a BEW at first), then got darker with age. I'm settled that it's an orange VM!

Its sibling on the other hand... I assumed it was an opal VM from birth, as there are many in the parents' pedigrees. However, I'm starting to wonder if it's a chinchilla VM.
View attachment 56476
Sorry if the picture makes it hard to tell the true coloring. Here is from when it was a few days old:
View attachment 56477
Thank you! I still have SO much to learn, for some reason this litter has thrown some unexpected colorings lol.
Give it a bit of time to grow out
If it looked dilute as a baby, but turns out to be chinchilla based, look into squirrel as well. Squirrel is just the dilute version of a chinchilla.

Give it a bit of time to grow out
If it looked dilute as a baby, but turns out to be chinchilla based, look into squirrel as well. Squirrel is just the dilute version of a chinchilla.
Thanks. Here are more baby pictures that might help solve this mystery:
PXL_20210720_011541743.jpgPXL_20210720_000611668.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Latest posts

Back