what color is hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
This might sound stupid but i just got a bale of hay from a farm around here (US East Coast) and i see some green but alot of it is yellowish in color with some brown. So what color should they hay be? Is the no color hay ok to give? I have yet to break down the bale to see what the inside looks like, it smells good so i just want to know. I am going to start this year getting local hay and this is the first farm i am getting it from because i am out completely and my order from Kleenmams is not in until wed.

Depending on the time it was cut, I think sometimes it can have a different colour. The yellow might be from being bleached by the sun, takes some of the colour away. Usually the inner part of the bale that hasn't been exposed to sun is more greener.

I agree with Spring. It all depends on the timing of the cut, drying and baling. We have had some that looked horrible....but our rabbits ate it eagerly. And we have had some beautifully colored green hay they wouldn't touch. As long as it is clean....no excessive weeds or any mold, it should be safe for your rabbits. Any hay that is safe for a horse is safe for a rabbit. Webuy tons of hay from eqine people mostly to use in the litter boxes...but most times they eat it too since it contains some alfalfa most of the time. And looking at your locations.....have you tried Bunny Bale or Sweet Meadow Farm hay? Really good stuff and all our rabbits, including the cottontails, will eat both brands. It will save you quite a bit on shipping charges. I also have ordered from KM and will do so again despite the shipping charges (which we all know the charges are pretty much out of the hands of the suppliers) as I have found their hay to be ultra high quality....and our buns loved their Bluegrass hay.

Randy

I actually just ordered from Kleenmamas and spent alot of money for hay, then i just looked into sweet meadow and saw that i would have saved 20.00 if i got from them, oh well i guess,lol. I am trying to get it locally to save money but have no experience with bales of hay, only what comes in a box to me from Oxbow and what comes to me , or i have ever bought is green so i was not sure. I did gothrough the bale yesterday and got some green but most was not green. I will have to put some in and see what they do. I am going to another farm today and getting some that he cut just last week so i will see what fresh hay is like, this is a learning experience for me,lol.

The bale smelled like timothy hay , but it also smelled...........hmmm i dont know if it was overwhelming? not bad but different but then again i have never smelled a bale of hay.

In my personal opinion, KM, Sweet Meadow and Bunny Bale are the best available and are the most consistant. All three are popular here with our large population of rabbits and others that eat hay. I understand that American Pet Diner gets high marks but their costs are huge not only for shipping but for the product itself.

If you are going to buy local hay.....check with your state department of agriculture as they usually have hay exchanges....I know that's available in NC and VA. Find the horse owners in your areaand find out where they buy their hay from. Especially with the high end show or race horses....they are only going to feed the best so if it's good enough for the horse, it will be good for your rabbit. I get all my local hay from people that raise very high dollar horses....they are going to have only premium quality hay. Buying high quality local hay not only helps you save money and offer high quality hay.....many hay farmers are small family owned operations and you are helping them too.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
In my personal opinion, KM, Sweet Meadow and Bunny Bale are the best available and are the most consistant. All three are popular here with our large population of rabbits and others that eat hay. I understand that American Pet Diner gets high marks but their costs are huge not only for shipping but for the product itself.

If you are going to buy local hay.....check with your state department of agriculture as they usually have hay exchanges....I know that's available in NC and VA. Find the horse owners in your areaand find out where they buy their hay from. Especially with the high end show or race horses....they are only going to feed the best so if it's good enough for the horse, it will be good for your rabbit. I get all my local hay from people that raise very high dollar horses....they are going to have only premium quality hay. Buying high quality local hay not only helps you save money and offer high quality hay.....many hay farmers are small family owned operations and you are helping them too.

Randy

Ha you just made the light bulb in my head flicker,lol, there is a woman that has very expensive show horses , that she let us know in conversation one day that they are very expensive horses,lol, i will have to drive down and ask her. For the meantime i am waitng for my shipment from Kleenmamas and i am checking another person out locally, if i can ever get through to get thier address, and i will defintely be talking to the lady down the street.

Latest posts

Back