What can I do to help my rabbits when they choke on pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
My rabbits get their pellets scatter fed or put into a treat ball but as I was putting the pellets in the balls for the morning Bugs came up and started eating the pellets from the container. This doesn't bother me because it's too much of a hassle to keep him off my bed while I'm doing this for what it's worth. Both of my bunnies get very excited when they smell pellets and will shove as many into their mouths as possible which is why their pellets are scattered. As Bugs was shoving them into his mouth, one by one the pellets started falling out of his mouth and he was jerking his head back and forth while pawing at his mouth. He also seemed to be having a hard time chewing them. When I saw them come out of his mouth, I didn't think too much of it and assumed it was him being a dork as usual. I said to him "Bugs please stop spitting them out into the container, you weirdo" and went back to what I was doing. I've taken a CPR class for infants and young children and I contemplated doing that method with him (flip them onto their backs and pat their stomachs five times and flip them over and do the same on their back) but because he hates being on his back and that alone would have made him freak out which may have caused him to get it lodged further in his throat and I wasn't comfortable enough in my abilities I didn't try it. What I did instead was grab a syringe full of water to hopefully push it down or at least soften the pellets but by the time I could grab ahold of him with the syringe he seemed to have figured it out. I did rub his belly for a bit after.

My question is what should I do in that situation if it happens again? I know I might not be as lucky next time and I want to be prepared. Thank you!

Below is a picture of some pellets he spit out onto my bed. 20191028_201719.jpeg

Back