What breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterElla

Reaction score
In my city, they have this sort of a "black market" for animals. Dogs, fishes, rabbits, rodents, cats, birds and even turtles. Apparently, the sellers don't have the slightest idea about breeding. They keep the animals in 'cruel' cages, say in the case of puppies, they keep 4-5 puppies in a wire-made cage only a little bigger and wider than a foot.

So, I bought this rabbit out of pity. I want to buy them all but I don't have enough money for that and not enough time to spend taking care of more than one pet.

The vets here are basically inclined towards dogs and cats only! I have gone to the most famous veterinarians around and asked if they could tell the breed of my rabbit, they said it looks like a dwarf rabbit, others told me it's 'breedless', it's like a stray rabbit; local rabbit as what they coin it. They can't tell the breed and they don't have the food! I hate them.

I have searched for hay, they don't have hay in my city. I've checked some farmers' market, they do NOT have the hay I need and pellets only for chickens and fish... but NO pellets for rabbits. I have been feeding my rabbit veggies and fruits. No pellets since I bought it. As well as wild grass in lieu of hay.

Also, I feed it water spinach. It's called like that because it grows in swamps but since people have become accustomed to eating it, they have managed to make clean swamps where they could grow this plant. I am not sure if it is good for my rabbit but a lot of people and vets tell me it's what they usually feed their pet rabbits. At the moment, my rabbit is fine. It's healthy and no diarrhea whatsoever.

Here's a photo of the wild grass, the water spinach and a video of my rabbit. Please help. I need to know the breed of my rabbit as well as if the two food in its diet are healthy.

By the way, I also give romaine lettuce, tomatoes, eggplants, papayas, carrots, cabbage, okra, squash, string beans and jute. But not one too many. I alternate the giving of its food.

this is the grass: http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/oleksiy/oleksiy0905/oleksiy090500059/4906339-green-wild-grass.jpg

this is the water spinach:
http://www.wisemomsays.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/water-spinach.JPG

and this is the video of my rabbit:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHPvsBzShtQ[/ame]

It's fine to feed your rabbit fresh grass instead of hay. That's just as good for him. He'll need quite a bit every day and about 80% of their diet needs to be hay or grass. The grass from your garden is fine too.

I'm not sure about eggplants for rabbits but the others sound fine. I don't know about water spinach either, but if local knowledge says it's okay then hopefully it should be fine.

I'm afraid I'm not sure on the breed, it looks like he has some growing still to do from the size of those ears.

The cage in the video is a bit small, particularly when he grows. Do you have many predators? Making a pen in our garden might be the best way to give him lots of room or build your own cage. He's certainly enjoying running about.

Hi. Thanks for that, it helped.
The sellers told me the rabbit was about 3 months.. It's been a month and a half since a bought it. The cage is only to contain Chrome while I leave for uni, it's only 5 hours everyday. The rest of the time while I'm home, I let him roam around the garden and in my room. I'm thinking - I started giving it 1/4 cup of fish pellets. We own a couple of Kois too and it seemed to love the taste. Should I continue giving fish pellets or should I choose another kind of pellet? If yes, what should be the next best alternative for rabbit pellets? I have found some Chicken pellets and Guinea Pig pellets around here. Which is best of the three? And how often should I feed my rabbit? It seems like it's always hungry. 30 min without food and when I give it another set of food, it devours it hungrily. what's best to do? I'm sorry for too many questions but I've always been a cat person. I know almost nothing about rabbit care.

By the way, we have about 4 adult dogs. 2 big ones and 2 small ones. But we keep them in a dog pen, about 3 garages wide with two gates. So there's no way they could attack Chrome (they are not the friendly ones towards new animals of smaller sizes. They attack even big cats and small puppies if they are not accustomed to the new smell. They were trained to guard the house during nighttime. So they weren't trained to socialize much; it might result to their being mushy and easily tamed if that's the case.) But could their sound, like growling and barking, even from a distant, intimidate and stress my rabbit? Coz I'd avoid letting Chrome roam in the garden anymore if that's the case.

Hi and welcome to RO.

I think your bunny is what they refer to as a 'local' breed in your part of the world. They're long, lean and have fairly slim heads, almost like a cross between a dutch and a hare. (They're often dutch-marked with bands of white around the neck or a blaze on the nose, can't tell if yours has a bit of that or not).

The pellets for the guinea pig may be close (doubt the others are), but may not be suitable other than while he's a baby. Adult rabbits ideally should have between 12 and 16% protein and very high fibre, at least 20%, and not a lot of fat (under 3% I think). Guinea Pig pellets are also fortified with Vitamin C, which the rabbits don't need. But I think if you can give him a very large variety of grasses, vegetables, vines, leaves, etc, and just a few pellets, you'll be fine.

They shouldn't eat anything with cereal or bread.

I think you will have to build him a secure enclosure so the dogs can't see him and he feels protected -- he needs a solid fence around him and solid overhead cover. Even while he's in the cage you have you should put something over top so he doesn't think he's going to be eaten by a hawk. Remember that rabbits normally live in underground warrens with several entrances. They can run and hide from most predators like foxes and hawks. I'll have a series of boxes with at least two holes in them (also tunnels made from pipe or cardboard) even in the play areas for my guys.

sas :welcome1

OMG! Thank you so much! :) Guinea Pig pellet it is! (Well, until I can find a seller of rabbit pellets. At least he'll be getting some pellets into his tumtum and not just pure veggies and fruits.) thank you so much!!! :)

:wave: The color of your rabbit is Chinchilla, just like the animal of the same name. Very pretty bunny, too. You might try looking online and getting pellets shipped. We get all our bunny supplies that way, including hay.

I doubt he's a chinchilla--chinchilla's are usually a lot more full-bodied, even when they're malnourished.

When I first saw the video it struck me as a seriously malnourished light gray Flemish, mostly because of how pinched the head is. While the ears are rather Flemishly, s/he is rather small for a 3 month old Flemish (they're usually around that size at a few weeks old). Flemish are also usually a little heavier-boned, but are weaker in the shoulder with a heavy rump (I can't really tell if your rabbit is full or semi-arch).

I think 'local breed' probably applies.

Have fun with your bun! Looks like a real treat!

Your best resource is going to be the House Rabbit Society in Singapore I think. They're the closest (although not that close, LOL!) and a very strong group.

http://www.hrss.net

They should know the vegetation, resources, etc in your area.

Good luck!

sas :bunnydance:

A few more notes... Water spinach (Kangkong) is palatable to rabbits (wash it well, though), sweet potato vines are commonly fed by breeders, with Guinea grass. Lettuce, bok choy, etc is all good. (Variety is the key).

If you can find people/places with horses, they may have grass hays. Some alfalfa (lucerne) is fine especially while he's young.

And here's a site in Singapore that carriers American Pet Diner products including hay bales and pellets, tho not sue if you'll need them more than as a bit of a supplement. They do carry 'Critter Be Better', though, which is great to have on hand if your rabbit is sick.

http://www.facebook.com/briolife.singapore?sk=app_10442206389

Good luck!

Maybe he isn't a pure-bred. But I don't know.. the breed doesn't really matter though. He is sweet and cuddly - well, he loves to be touched and cuddled all the time. ^^ Thank you for the info. :)

Hey, I have roamed the city and guess where I found the pellets for rabbits...

I found it in this old, chicken-pellet storehouse. It has the look that it sells nothing but crap but it's the nearest to my house... plus, 2 kilos cost about only $2. So it's a win-win. A local breeder told me to check it coz that's where he gets his pellets for his rabbits too. And yay! Chrome isn't always that hungry anymore, maybe pure veggie diet isn't good for him.

Thank you so much for the help. I'm aiming for a healthier rabbit by the end of the month. :)

Chrome is such a handsome little guy!! What a nice yard for him to run around in, I bet he enjoys that. I hope to have a yard someday for my rabbit to explore. :) Congrats on your adorable bunny and I do hope that his new pellets will fill him up a little better! Yay!

Meg

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

actualy u dont need to go far for ur resources ^_^ here in cebu philippines we have lots of groups to all kinds of pets and help each other out ... try to contact pipers petshop on facebook he can help ^_^ ... the pet community here is very good .. ^_^ cheers to you sir ^_^

Your rabbit is a flemish giant. You said that he/she was on an all veggie diet, that could be why he/she is skinny looking. With the pellets, he/she should gain weight. The big ears are what indicates that the rabbit is a flemish. The color is either gray or chinchilla, it is not a breed. Also I would guess that he/she is about 3 to 4 months old, just by looking at him/her.

He/she is adorable and looks like he/she is happy to be with you.

Welcome to the forum. I hope that you will enjoy this forum. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

Sweetie wrote:
Your rabbit is a flemish giant. You said that he/she was on an all veggie diet, that could be why he/she is skinny looking. With the pellets, he/she should gain weight. The big ears are what indicates that the rabbit is a flemish. The color is either gray or chinchilla, it is not a breed. Also I would guess that he/she is about 3 to 4 months old, just by looking at him/her.
There may be some Flemish in there, although its iffy. We'll see how big he gets. He's pretty small, although I think he was very young when you got him, probably only four to five weeks max. The markets sell them as young as two or three weeks. If you've had him six weeks already and he's 12 weeks old, he's still small, but again, time will tell.

But again, the 'lean' look with the bigger ears is standard for that region, but maybe a Local/Flemish mix.

The breeders can correct me if I'm wrong, but if there's Flemish, the color would then be considered steel, not chinchilla? (Not gray).

And a veggie diet is fine as long as he's getting a wide variety of local grasses/hay and other vegetation and he's spending some time outside to get his vitamin D fix, although a small amount of pellets should add to the variety.

You have to check the protein, fiber and calcium contents, young bunnies have different requirements than older ones.

The high dry fiber from the grasses and dried hay bits should keep his cecals from being overloaded.

Latest posts

Back