What Breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliBunny

Reaction score
My friend has a bunny that can move his earswhenever he wants, so sometimes he looks like a lop and other times helooks like a Californian. She wants to know if anyone knows what breedhe is.

We can't tell what breed it is from whatdescription. It could be a mix though. A picture and weight would bethe best and only way to guess with some accuracy, even though that'shard and could still be wrong.

If you're referring to the Californian markings,many breeds have similar markings. As MyBunnyBoys mentioned,we really need to see a picture and know the weight of the rabbitbefore venturing some guesses. Factors in determing breedinclude type of fur and body type/structure.

Pam

Pamnock is our local breed expert, she couldprobably fairly accurately tell what breed or mix the rabbit is but asshe said, there are lots of breeds with the markings of a Califorian.

if he is still young, he could be alop. when i got daisy, a mini lop, she had stand up ears,then she seemed to be able to switch them around and now they are downall the time. she is a pure mini lop and i was told by herbreeder that as the ears grow, they get heavier and then start to lop,although her ears are smaller then sage, her mini lop husband, so idon't know about that. anyway, she used to have the same earissue, but now they hang all the time.

Babies (and by that I mean up to 3 mo. or so)often have trouble with ear control. This can depend on the weather,and is common in large breeds. My young Palominos had some trouble withthat--sometimes it was ears up, other times ears down. As they age, thecartilage gets stiffer and they will often stand more erect.

I experienced that this summer with a litter of young ones, and they all corrected.

If he's older, it probably means he's just a lop mix.

Rose

Latest posts

Back