What breed of rabbit do you have and why?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACI

Reaction score
What made you choose the rabbit/s you have? Ifyou could choose any breed in the world which includes the mixedbreeds, what would you choose? What type of personality do they have?.... friendly, cuddles, shy, independent?

I have had Holland Lops. I just love theirlittle personalities, or should I say BIG personalities? I first fellin love with the floppy ears and the look of their faces. Then I got myfirst Holland and I was hooked. She was just the sweetest mostbeautiful rabbit I had ever seen. Then after she passed I got two moreHollands and I learned just how big their personalities really are!

Now if I could get any breed... I think I would get either a Dutch or aFlemish. I love the Dutchmarkings.Plus I think mostDutches alwaysseem to look curious and quite mischievous. Ilike mischievous bunnies for some reason. You'd think I would havelearned my lesson after a certain Holland Lop that I had, but no. AndFlemmies. Well, need I explain?

Lissa

Our bunny is a tri-colour Dutch. We got himbecause our friend is a breeder and my other half had wanted him forover 2 months since he first set eyes on him when he was onlya fewweeks old. So we got a hutch and took him home! He's so sweet!

If I could have any rabbit I'd have a dutch, a rex or a Belgian Hare.:bunnydance:I don't really like fluffy bunny's or lops.

Well I have 3 different types of breeds, becauseI just couldn't choose one! :) I think all of them have wonderfuldifferent traits.

If I had to choose just one favorite, it would have to be a NetherlandDwarf. I like their small size, and how they always look like a babyeven when full grown. And with any other rabbit, given the righttemperment they can be very sweet.

Second would have to be Holland Lops. Obviously I love their floppy ears, sweet dispositions, and they are also a good size.

3rd is minirex. Again obviously, they have that wonderfully soft andvelvet fur and of good size. They are also known to be sweet hearts.

I have a mixed breed and an English lop. Whatwould I choose out of any breeds in the world? The two I now have.;)Actually I do love the E-lops for their disposition andsloooow-going manners, but have seen so many health problems with Raphthat it does make me sometimes hesitate to consider getting another.It's the same as having a specific breed of dog, such as pugs or bassethounds...each comes with their own set of possible health issues as aresult of generations of breeding for exaggerated type. LOL...knowingme though, I wouldn'tsay no (actually, couldn't sayno!)if anotherE-lop came my way.

I love all rabbits, mixed breeds, purebreds...but do tend to leantowards the lops as well as the larger breeds. I do want to someday owna Flemish giant, and would also love to have a Belgian hare. Thenthere's the Rex too...they are just so soft and beautiful. :)

But when it comes down to it, any rabbit who comes my way winds up touching my heart. :mrsthumper:

I have a netherland dawrf. I got himbc I wanted a rabbit that was small in size. I picked Shadow bc he wasvery independant in the store, he dosnt want another rabbit to livewith and he loves ppl. For his personality is deff. one of a kind, hesa jumper, climber, only wants to lay on ur lap when hes had hislaps. When he is on your lap he will lay there as long as upet him, but if u stop he leaves. He is a cage bitter, he mostly bitesthe bars of his cage late at nite im talking 5am late lol. And he iscage territorial so gotta be carefull when stickin ur hands in to getthe food dish. Anyway thats my crazy bun.

I have a mini-rexI love this breed fortheir personality and their really really soft fur!!I got Rexbecause I helped a friend out and sexed all their babies from a litterthey had and I picked him for his color. I alsohave had holland lops and I love the ears and the personality.

I just got a flemish giant two weeks ago and I'mloving it. I always wanted to get a rabbit(having a few when I wasyounger.) I was browsing the web and came across this news articleabout giant rabbits. I was like woah :shock: big bunnies andimmediately educated myself on giant rabbit breeds.

I would of liked a continental giant if they were available here in theU.S. I also thought of a holland lop in the future because they look socool with their floppy ears.

A lot of people say they love their hollands forthe personality, can you explain? Are they into everything? They areadorable. I had a netherland when I was younger and he was hyper butloving and hyper, kind of like road runner now that i think of it.
I am torn between a large breed, ELOP and hollands orlionheads. I am at a loss. I have a mini-lop who is quite independent,but fun and loves to climb. I would like a friend for her but have itplanned out that if she does not bond to the new one there is aseparate area in the house. I am home all day so they would have enoughplaytime.

Bassetluv sold me on elops in another thread, I was searching oldqueries last night. I am so confused..... I know mixed are great petsbut they have the personality of their main breed so that is why I amresearching all the possibilities. I figure true rabbit owners give thebest feedback.
thanks

I have 3 dwarf lops, Mom Dad and their daughter.
I started out with Dad (Bob) and adore his playful personality, he is the only rabbit i know that loves it when you chase him!
He hops about loving the attention then when you turn and run, hechases you! I got him a girlfriend (Honey) over a year ago- she is alittle more timid and not so playful, i love her sleepy littlepersonality though. If you play with her ears she starts to fall asleep:) Their daughter (Cadbury) Is a chocolate lop and is a little like hermother, she is so affectionate she will come up to me and want to bepicked up, then fall asleep in my lap.
I love their temperaments so much i don't think i could ever tryanother breed in case it dissapointed me. The pic that's my avatar isone of the bunnies from Bob and Honey's latest litter, a beautifulslivery grey spotted lop.
She also inherited the falling asleep in your hand gene!

When I first decided to start raising rabbitsfor show, I chose Dutch. They have GREAT personalities andexcellent mothers. Also, they are very challenging to breedand show as you have to get the correct markings or it will getdisqualified at the show! However, they also make excellentpets so it is easy to find them good homes.

I added Jersey Woolies to my rabbitry a few years later because I lovedthe fluffiness of their coat and their personalities. They dothis sort of sway thing called scanning. Their bodies arestill but their heads sway back and forth!

Sharon

I used to raise and show Holland Lops andEnglish Angoras. Hollands have a unique personality. Kinda like a toneddown Netherland Dwarf. Playful, inquisitive, fairly docile, but saucyat the same time. They're kinda fussy about being held, but, will jumpinto your lap on their terms. Though, I never had one that was a biter,very unlike my pet Netherland. English Angoras I found to be verysensitive and flighty.

I currently have a New Zealand and a Californian. I had a pet qualityCali back when I used to raise show buns. She was just always solaid-back. The most excitement she wanted was right in her food dish.The one I just adopted is pretty much the same. A sweetheart, but foodis her big interest.

When I was looking for a rabbit, I was thinking of a Holland Lop.

But aNetherlandDwarf in needwas brought to my attention, Iadopted Pebbles. People say NDs arehyper... well Pebbles is hyper when I lether out for her runs and binkies. She loves to beheld and petted, and in return she licksus to death. She sits patiently in her cage without jumpingout and is fairly good with her litterbox. When she is out of her cage, she is never toofar from us.
Because of her size, food, hay, and litter is so easy on the pocket book.
Most people don't have such luck with ND's.

And she is so easy to take pictures with. :D

She is busy licking my hand......
5335.jpg

Rainbows! :bunnydance:

I have a hyper holland. She's cute and very smart but she's a little skittish.

And I have a laid back mini lop. He's very friendly but he relies on Jordi when it comes to the brains department.

I have heard Californians have a great laid back personality.

Oh, and I also love french lops.

Edit: I think all breeds can have different personalities, so I wouldmeet them and go with what your heart tells you... and what Delilahtells you!

We have a...................Black & Tan.

Why we have chosen for that breed: cause my boyfriend ;) wanted it.

He read some rabbitbooks in which it was mentioned that Black &Tans have a very friendly nature, and as he loved the coloring we wentlooking for this breed. It tooks us 4 hours on the phone to finallyfind someone who had this breed and was located nearby.

The week after that we went to pick one out of only 4 he had availablefor sale. We picked our Happy...............we took himhome..............opened the cage and he jumped on the couch within 5minutes to sleep his beauty sleep alongside of my legs.....

Sweet...........but after one week he went wild (hormons, yep yep) andtook him to the vet in an almost completely close box. And I can tellyou that box 'walked' by itself through the waitingroom, that hard hetried to break out. Lady next to us: What is in that box?
Our Rabbit, a Black & Tan..... Oh no she said I had one too butit was too wild so I have given it to someone else where it can beoutside. Oh no.........but luckily our Happy turned out to be thecutest, sweetest rabbit one can have. Now almost 8 years old and stillenjoying it.

Here is a pic of Happy (on the righthand side):

happy_leg1.jpg

Nowadays I would not choose a breed anymore just because there aresooooo many rabbits waiting to be rehomed. They all have somethingspecial.

MJ

Gosh! I love the black and tan!

I have a Dutch/Rex mix. I got her because I thought shelooked like the wild cottontails that live in our yard.

My husband had a Rex, so he was familiar with the breed.

I didn't want a really small rabbit or a really big one.

I've had a New Zealand, a mini-lop and, a Netherland Dwarf before. They were all great.

My husband didn't want a bunny with red eyes or floppy ears.We babysat a lop one time that was psycho, sothat spoiled itfor lops. The lop was unneutered and enticed by our unspayedNew Zealand in the cage next to him. Oooops!

Well, I did not really choose Miffy, the oldneighbors were moving and did not want to take her with them so Idecided that we would adopt her and it has been a learning experienceever since. I have been told that she is dwarf mix.She is a great bunny and all but she does not like to beheld. She is also a bit mischeivious and persistant when shecannot have what she really wants!:nono

We are moving to New Jersey towards the end of this year and I havetold my hubby that I would like to get another bun, one that won't tryto do a Bunny 500 in my hands when I try to pick her/him up!He agrees but now I need to figure out which one, although a Flemish isVERY high on my list! And then there is the lops with theiradorable floppy ears although I am partial to "helicopterears!" And of course the pics of Happy, well he just justbeautiful! As I look at him, his markings are like Miffy'skinda but he has tan where Miffy has white:
Image103.jpg

So that means that I will be even more confused when it comes time to get another bunny! :rollseyes:

Latest posts

Back