What Breed is Timmy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyscove

Christina - Moderator
Reaction score
We just adopted Mr. Timothy HoppyToes from theshelter. Any ideas what he might be? The paperssaid dwarf, but he came in as a stray, so no one reallyknows. He's a little smaller than my 4.1 lb dutch if thathelps.

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0182c.jpg

IMG_0214c.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

Maybe a Holland Lop x Dwarf mix? The smutty orange color is sometimes seen in the Holland Lops.

Pam

I think he'd be known as the "Cute as Heck" breed! :D

He's adorable. Look at him on his back legs. Cuteness overload!

Sorry I can't help with the breed. Pam or another breeder will be along to help, I'm sure.

I can't help with anything re. his breed either,but just wanted to say that he's in the very top percentile of thecuteness scale. Great pics, too - please post more.

he also looks like he's got a *lot* of personality. :)

Does he mind the hardwood floor?

I definately know how cute he is, he doestoo! Neither rabbit seems to mind the floors, just love torun anywhere. He just loves to be loved, and hay.He has basically just managed to tip his food dish a few times andignore the italian parsley, well, actually he bit some of it in half,lol, but didn't eat it.

I haven't really felt rex fur, but from thedescription, I don't think he has it. His fur basically feelsjust like my dutch's fur.

CIMG1523.jpg

here's Timmy and Fiona for a bit of a size comparison.

missyscove wrote:
Could anyone tell me what his color would be called?

What color do you see underneath when you blow into his fur?Is it slate colored or off-white? He looks like he might be a"sooty" fawn. Chestnut would have a slate blue undercolor.

He could be a cross of any number of small breeds. I haveseen Mini Rex x Mini Satin crosses that looked similar as well as lopor Dutch crosses.

Pam

His fur is white or off white underneath, thecolor of his tummy. White at the roots, then tan, then greyon the tips.

Thats' a beautiful Dutchie.

<3 Dutches.

No, I didn't think he had rex fur, but his overall shape is minirexish. I believe rex fur is a recessive thing, so he might be acarrier of it. A neat experiment would be ot breed him to a mini rexand see if htey throw any rex-furred babies. Then you'll have a betteridea of his lineage. even if he doesn't htrow rex-furred babies...
You might find some other breed-specific reciessive traits that pop up in the babies.

-JAK

JAK Rabbitry wrote:
A neat experiment would be ot breed him to a mini rex andsee if htey throw any rex-furred babies. Then you'll have a better ideaof his lineage. even if he doesn't htrow rex-furred babies...
You might find some other breed-specific reciessive traits that pop up in the babies.
Of course since he's a rescue and he's neutered, that certainlyisn't a possibility. Looking at all the rabbits in myshelter, I honestly can't condone breeding for any reason other thanbettering an already existing breed.

Aw, thats ok.

I've always been fascianted with Genetics, I've been studying thegenetic patterns in my herd as far as fur type and color go, its reallyvery interesting. I ended up developing some kind of mutant fur colorgene. Its like chinchilla...but with red ticking in stead of black withbeige and steel grey and all these funky colors all on one strand offur. I'm going ot see If I can single it out and get it on a dutch. Ormaybe even a breed by itself.

-JAK

pamnock wrote:
missyscove wrote:
His fur iswhite or off white underneath, the color of his tummy. Whiteat the roots, then tan, then grey on the tips.

Fawn

Thanks so much pamnock. At least we know something about him for sure now.

Timmy sends his thanks.

CIMG1550.jpg

Latest posts

Back