What Breed is this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetShuga

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and currently am raising a dwarf/lionhead cross bunny. Her name is Mocha and is absolutely adorable. She follows people around the house and is definitely a curious one.

I was looking for a playmate for her and came upon a bunny at a rescue home, but I would like to know what breed it is, how big it'll get, etc.

Please help me out so I can give this poor little a guy a place to call home.

i was told it's a dutch, but it doesn't look like one.

if that picture doesn't work here's the link

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20384650?photo_view=1

Look like it has Lionhead in it. Not sure if it's full Lionhead but it def has it in it. I don't see and Dutch. I have a Lionhead and he is small maybe 3 pounds and that is pushing it. He looks adorable though!! :)

I saw chewy on pet finder before! Defiantly not a Dutch, if you look a lot of the rabbits say Dutch and they are clearly not. He is sooooo cute though!

hillrise wrote:
I would think lionhead cross just because the ears look a little long to be a purebred...although it's possibly a false dwarf...
Looks like the "old style" lionheads we used to see here in the states a few years ago.....

Lionhead photos

Make sure to look at Penelope to see what I mean....although many of the others also will show what I'm talking about.

When lionheads were first brought over to the US - they were HUGE...like 5 pounds and bigger sometimes. I had a doe from Bob Whitman that he imported and she was very big...I'll share her picture in a bit.

In order to create a "new breed" and write a standard - breeders started crossing netherland dwarfs into the lionheads (to get the dwarfing gene) and also holland lops at times to get larger bones.

Its a fascinating subject and study because at the time that some breeders were importing from one country (into the midwest and east coast sorta) - another breeder was importing from another country into the West Coast.

Here are some photos of my Hyacinth that was a direct import from the UK...

f15683d4.jpg

c1ec6937.jpg

d47ffd68.jpg

If you look on the left side of the page I linked to - find the photo of Tuborg...he was the one that was brought to the West Coast....and his owner (Theresa Mueller) is the COD holder of lionheads trying to get them passed.

If you notice - he is much closer to what lionheads are today than the others you will see on that page.

I would share more but its been a while since I've talked about it and I'm not sure right off where my notes are. I spent hours and hours on the phone with Gail Gibbons (a former lionhead COD holder) getting history because she loved to talk about it and was there in the beginning and I was just fascinated by the history and how you could trace lines back to certain lionheads who brought in certain characteristics.

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Latest posts

Back