What breed is this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krickette

Reaction score
So, I got a new bunny! The guy said s/he was a miniature, but that's all he told me. He also said s/he is 2 months old, but people have been telling me s/he looks much younger. My mom's wild guess is 6 weeks, lol. But she has never had a bunny, so doesnt really know.

What kind of rabbit is this?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEtmD6S9QLc[/ame]

n1215900180_30303302_2359.jpg

n1215900180_30303303_2639.jpg

n1215900180_30303304_2932.jpg

n1215900180_30303307_3781.jpg

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=38017&forum_id=26
for more pics

Pam,

I know Krickette didn't go looking for a young baby but found somenoe selling it - as a breeder of holland lops - do you have any advice for her now that she has the bunny?

In her intro - I stressed the need for just pellets and hay and maybe a bit of oatmeal. Anything else you'd recommend?

pamnock wrote:
That looks like a 2-3 week old Holland Lop. Too young to be weaned, let alone sold. :(

Pam

Some random guy was selling bunnies on the side of the road.
He had about 10 left when I got there, from different litters. There were 7 or so that looked similar to each other, and then 3 that were smaller. He said they were miniatures and would only get about half as big as the others would. The other two were black, one solid, one with a white paw. s/he was the smallest of all of them.
He told me 2 months, but....people are telling me that's not correct.
It was just a guy on the road with his daughters, so i have no way of contacting him ever again. He was selling them for $10 each.

TinysMom wrote:
Pam,

In her intro - I stressed the need for just pellets and hay and maybe a bit of oatmeal. Anything else you'd recommend?

:yeahthat:

I would minimize handling/stress. The younger the kits, the higher the mortality when sold.

Pam

I hate people sometimes...

Not you Krickette.. just the sweet little gentle soul in the pics...at the mercy of a human, who just sold it by the side of the road..

I hope it makes it... you'll be in my thoughts..

Z

I understand. It must be a lot for yall like it is when I see horses in the hands of someone who doesn't deserve them or understand them. I hope that I can help this bun. I'm not sure how many bunny savvy vets are around me, but my roomie is a pre vet student, maybe she knows of someone.
I am going to buy some timothy hay and get some more pellets after work today. I gave him some oatmeal earlier and he ate it all up!

Also, how do you check if a bun is dehydrated? I just want to be sure. Is it just like any other animal or???

OOOOH Hollands are my heart breed!!!! Weeeee!!!! How freakin' adorable. I totally see how you got suckered into buying that little ball of cuteness! I think you are trying, and it's not your fault that you "bought" this baby at such a young age...if you don't know anything about bunnies, how would you know age? Specially when he lies and says well it's a miniature...what a moron. That guy will burn for that.

I think everyone has given you great advice on both this thread and your intro thread and I wish you the best of luck with your new loppie!!!! I think Bumper is a cute name as well. Be so very careful with this baby for the next month and a half....(s)he is sooo fragile at this point...

Also, I recommend alfalfa hay for the first 6 months of his life. (I thinkkkk 6 months, maybe a month shorter?) Then, switch to Timothy Hay. Also, for pellets, use Oxbow's Bunny Basics 15/23 formula. Check out their website for info on that.

GOOD LUCK!

Tracy

Speaking from Cali babies..they have a nappy look to their fur.. like it doesn't want to lay down correctly.. not smooth at all..

Another thing is if their skin 'stays' in once place when you pinch it together rather than it immediately releasing back into place..

Where in Louisiana are you? I would be willing to help you with him if your not terribly far..I am maybe 20 minutes if that from the border..

Krickette wrote:
Also, how do you check if a bun is dehydrated? I just want to be sure. Is it just like any other animal or???

Plenty of well shaped poos indicate a well hydrated bunn ;)Very tiny, hard fecal pellets can indicate problems.

If a rabbit is eating plenty of pellets, then it is generally also drinking well.

A "tiny" bit of shredded carrot or apple daily helps to add moisture to the diet and will encourage the little guy/gal to eat well.

Pam

GoinBackToCali wrote:
Where in Louisiana are you? I would be willing to help you with him if your not terribly far..I am maybe 20 minutes if that from the border..

I really hope you can take GoinBackToCali up on this offer! She could be a great help for you!

I hope the little one makes it - good luck!

LadyBug wrote:
lop. prolly holland if Pam says so:highfive:

Just a guess, but it really looks like our baby Hollands :)Ears can often take a while to drop.

Pam

Here's a photo of a New Zealand less than 2 weeks old. (Note the smooth coat)

Latest posts

Back