What breed is Shadow?? So very confused

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRabbits

Reaction score
So I got my boy Shadow from a pet store about 2months ago..at the time we got him they told us he was a 6week old boy mini lop. Awhile later we had to take him to the vet because of ear mites and that vet told us that he was a6month old boy he weighed 5.2 pounds at that time. The vet also told me he was to big to be a mini lop. The reason I'm concerned about this is because 2days ago Shadow mated with Spirit....he has never even tried anything with her except for one time about 2 weeks ago then yesterday he successfully mated with her ( in the 20seconds of time it took me to grab a bottle of water). So I'm confused about his age and his breed..the 2nd time we went to the vet he also told me that his testicals hadnt desended yet ( isnt that a sign of a young rabbit?) So I'm just trying to figure out what breed he is..some people on here have said hes to big to be a mini lop and the vet said the same thing...any ideas?? Here isa picof him from about 2 weeks ago..
IMG_3261.jpg

I'm no expert, but he looks like a mini lop to me.

I can't take a guess on age, although he does look more like 6 months than 3.

Weight wise the standard max weight for a mini lop is 6.5 pounds and it isn't uncommon for some to weigh more if they weren't bred to be shown.

Hope this helps.

He looks like a Mini Lop to me... (or pretty close!) Mini Lops are not the smallest of the Lops... Hollands are smaller.

He looks like Moo who was a mini lop and he was pretty big.

People always confuse hollands and mini's.

Minis are like six pounds and hollands are like 4 pounds. He looks like a mini lop and his color seems to be chinchilla.

I think mini.

My moms boy Rocky a mini...

100_4207.jpg

My boy Dallas a holland...Never mind the other two.
4848_125738761616_764921616_2816850_2886612_n.jpg

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Mini Lop, for sure.

Why is he still living with an unaltered female? It only takes one successful breeding for babies!
Well that is a long story but at first he was himself supposed to be a female according to a very intelligent vet :rollseyes..no worrys my girl is going in on Monday to be spayed..we had a few medical issues between the 2 of them that were back to back and prevented me from doing it sooner..please keep her in your thoughts for a safe return home and thanks for helpin me figure out what breed he is :D

JadeIcing wrote:
I think mini.

My moms boy Rocky a mini...

100_4207.jpg

My boy Dallas a holland...Never mind the other two.
4848_125738761616_764921616_2816850_2886612_n.jpg
His face looks exactly like the guy in the second picture ^ more so than in the first picture...but his fur is exactly like the first picture.. it possible he is a mixture of the 2?? He is around 6 pounds now and is supposedly 6 months old

LuvMyRabbits wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Mini Lop, for sure.

Why is he still living with an unaltered female? It only takes one successful breeding for babies!
Well that is a long story but at first he was himself supposed to be a female according to a very intelligent vet :rollseyes..no worrys my girl is going in on Monday to be spayed..we had a few medical issues between the 2 of them that were back to back and prevented me from doing it sooner..please keep her in your thoughts for a safe return home and thanks for helpin me figure out what breed he is :D

I sincerely hope she's not going back to the same vet for the spay?

#1 because any vet who can't tell a rabbit's sex at 6 months of age is not a good sign.

#2 because there's a good chance she could be pregnant and should not be spayed right now. This vet may have no idea.

I'm glad to hear they were not intentionally bred, but please separate them ASAP. She may be or become pregnant, even within the time it takes to get to the vet.

#1 because any vet who can't tell a rabbit's sex at 6 months of age is not a good sign.

#2 because there's a good chance she could be pregnant and should not be spayed right now. This vet may have no idea.

I'm glad to hear they were not intentionally bred, but please separate them ASAP. She may be or become pregnant, even within the time it takes to get to the vet.
Oh heck no definitley not the same vet...that was enough for me to determine that they werent ever going to touch mybabies again...unfortunatley that is the reason that she is going in on monday to be spayed because they did get to each other on June 22nd...thats the reason I was questioning his age because they have been together everyday and he hasnt tried anything with her..and last vet visit his testicals werent dropped..which made me question the 6month thing...They are seperated now because of that incident that happened... before then I wasnt to worried because I am a stay at home mom and I am here constantly due to my lack of life:pandthey are watchedconstantly and they werent trying anything with each other..except for that 20 seconds I went to grab a water but I guess I know now that he was old enuf that day ..I had absolute intentions on getting them both fixed over a month ago but some medical things happened actually a few one after the other and ended up spending over $600.00 in a month for vet bills which made it impossible to take care of the spay and neuter earlier..so now I have to get her done first then him at a later time ( hopefully within 2 weeks keep your fingers crossed for me )

He could possibly part frenchie!!
The smaller babies I have are a little over 5 pounds at a few months of age. :)

Heres a pic... its a terrible pic but is the only one I have on this computer.. This is one of my grnad champ broken black does... She's about 12 pounds (Frenchies dont usually have as much "fluffyness" to their fur like she has)... :)

Your guy actually looks very similar to my Chestnut Agouti buck !! :)
(Wish I had a pic on here of him!!!)

IMG_0061.jpg

LuvMyRabbits wrote:

Oh heck no definitley not the same vet...that was enough for me to determine that they werent ever going to touch mybabies again
PHEW!:p

Sorry if I made those statements sound obvious. I didn't mean to imply that you were incompetent, but you'd be surprised how many people have these situations and just blindly mosey through without doing anything about it! Sounds like you have it totally under control, so good for you! That re-instills my trust in responsible pet owners.:D

winnie is a mini lop. 100%. i know this because i owned her grandparents, and they were mini lops.

she weighs around 7 1/2 pounds.

mini lops by standard weight should be what 6? 6 1/2? can't remember exactly. but that doesn't mean that every rabbit of that breed will weigh exactly that.

added the weight, the appearance, and the color (not chinchilla, but what appears to be a gold tipped black steel) shadow is a mini lop.

the weight is not really to much of a factor. i have seen mini lops top at7 1/2pounds (like winnie) and weigh as little as 4. that will depend on breeding and such.

the appearance is that of a mini lop. the ears, crown. they don't look holland at all. the ears are long and thick, the crown well defined. the fur also looks closer to mini lop then holland

steel color hollands aren't that easy to find in michigan. at least from what i remember. the chance of a pet popping up can happen, but i would vote unlikely. while in michigan at least steel mini lops are very common, its one of the most common varieties.

there is no real way to know what your rabbit is. but my guess would be mini lop. anyway. he is very cute

mischiwapos.cyra wrote:
He could possibly part frenchie!!
The smaller babies I have are a little over 5 pounds at a few months of age. :)

Heres a pic... its a terrible pic but is the only one I have on this computer.. This is one of my grnad champ broken black does... She's about 12 pounds (Frenchies dont usually have as much "fluffyness" to their fur like she has)... :)

Your guy actually looks very similar to my Chestnut Agouti buck !! :)
(Wish I had a pic on here of him!!!)

IMG_0061.jpg
He does look very similar in the face area from what I can see...someone else mentioned that he may be part frenchie...I think it was the 2nd vet I took him to..I have never heard of agouti ...is that a different breed of rabbit?? I will love him no matter what breed he is but would just like to know for sure..I guess as he gets older time will tell. I'm sure his full grown weight will enlighten me a little more..At what age do rabbits become full grown?? Oh and btw..that lil baby bunny is adorable!!!:inlove:

there is no real way to know what your rabbit is. but my guess would be mini lop. anyway. he is very cute
Thank you ...I would have to agree with you on his cuteness 1000% :inlove:

PHEW!:p

Sorry if I made those statements sound obvious. I didn't mean to imply that you were incompetent, but you'd be surprised how many people have these situations and just blindly mosey through without doing anything about it! Sounds like you have it totally under control, so good for you! That re-instills my trust in responsible pet owners.:D
lol no need to be sorry..you didnt offend me or make me feel incompetent in any way :biggrin2:..I'm new to the rabbit owner title so I'm looking to learn all I can..all advice and answers are welcome...I cannot believe that someone would continue to take their pet to a doctor that couldnt tell the difference between a male and female..I would think that would be one of the first things they study in vet school :expressionlessand if you cant get that right then by golly maybe your in the wrong buisness...but as you said I'm sure there are some that would just look past it..but I love my babies way to much to even think about it after that little incident...I mean these are my first rabbits and I googled images and could see the difference and when I checked them myself it was very obvious he had things that she didnt :blushan:..The lady they are seeing now seems much more competent and the rabbits even seemed to like her better..lets hope she doesnt prove me wrong :tears2:

He does look very similar in the face area from what I can see...someone else mentioned that he may be part frenchie...I think it was the 2nd vet I took him to..I have never heard of  agouti ...is that a different breed of rabbit?? I will love him no matter what breed he is but would just like to know for sure..I guess as he gets older time will tell. I'm sure his full grown weight will enlighten me a little more..At what age do rabbits become full grown?? Oh and btw..that lil baby bunny is adorable!!!:inlove:

For frenchies, they are usually full grown at about 8 months of age.. Although they are still filling out until they are about 1.5 years (this is when the females dewlap starts really coming out)

And as for the Agouti, its just a type of chestnut colouring. . :)

Latest posts

Back