What breed is Pip...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
Pip is a Petco bunny...well, they boast of their "purebred" rabbits, so I'm just going to be naive and wonder if he is possibly purebred. Anyone want to give a guess? He isn't exactly typey, here. A cute bunny, very beautiful, though!

I'm asking this for curiosity's sake only.

piptl7.jpg

pipagainab9.jpg

pippyheadqp1.jpg

Soooo..anyone have any idea?

How old is he? Do you have any body shots of him posing? How much does he weigh?

Definitely not Harlequin (the breed) but he is the color harlequin. Unfortunately many breeds can carry the harle gene. My guess is part Polish because of the length of body but what the other mixture is, I can't even begin to guess.

Sharon

He is definitely cute.

He weighs about four pounds. He's quite small. I don't have any pictures of him posing...heck I don't even know the pose he's supposed to be in.

I realize that these things would help...Pip isn't my rabbit. I'll see if his owner can attempt to pose him...if I could tell her exactly how to go about doing this...

My closest guess was a Polish, too, but I wasn't sure..

The closest we could get, here...

morepipjs1.jpg

He's fully grown, btw.

He's certainly a stunning rabbit! The color is black/orange Japanese Harlequin.

His type looks like the Polish breed (they weigh up to 3 1/2 lbs).

The structure of his coat could also help to give an indication of breed. Polish have a flat flyback coat with an abundance of guardhairs. Netherland Dwarfs have a much softer rollback coat.

Pam

Pip does have flyback fur, I probably should have mentioned that.

Thanks Pam!

Ivory wrote:
Pip does have flyback fur, I probably should have mentioned that.

Thanks Pam!

Although Harlequin Polish isn't a showable variety, it certainly is stunning! Can't say for certain that he's a Polish, he does have the body type and fur of a Polish.

The harlequin gene isn't in Polish lines, so someone would have had to have crossed another breed in to get the gene - for the small size, I'd guess Mini Rex may have been used.

Pam

Back