What breed is my Ruby?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basil24

Reaction score
Greater Vancouver Area, British Columbia, Canada
Ruby was a rescue rabbit so I have never known, just an idea. I had just assumed that she was a dutch cross or something. She's about 6 pounds.
n1292326714_30059263_2678.jpg

I was just told that she might be a Harlequin something?
Her vet doesn't know what breed she is either.

Thanks

Yep, she is a harlequin something... lol! She may be a purebred harlequin because marked breeds that are not show quality sometimes end up in the rescue arena. How old is she?
Shes a cutie!

Yeah, if she is purebred, her ears LOOK a smidge short, could be the pic, and her markings are not clean... BUT I am not a harle person.. I do woolies.. but anyway, that's my guess, and I wouldn't show her either... If she is a happy pet bunny.. then she is a lucky girl!!:adorable:

I think she is adorable! I just love her markings :heartbeat:

Awww... I didn't mean her markings are bad.. :foreheadsmack:
I just meant that for show quality.. but she is pretty. :bunnyheart

She is very pretty, it's all about love :bunnyheartyou are both lucky.

She definitely has harlequin coloring.

There is a Harlequin breed, and all Harlequin rabbits have this coloring. However, the coloring also exists in some other breeds. So it's a far stretch to assume she's purebred based on coloring- or that she is even part Harlequin (the breed).

How much does she weigh?

If she is a Harli (breed) then she is on the small side. Does not make minumum weight for the typical adult for that breed.

Coloring/pattern is often the only consideration people make in deciding what breed their rabbit is. The truth is, that with either deliberate or careless breeding practices, you can put just about any coloring and/or pattern on any breed of rabbit. She may very well be part Dutch. He type (body shape) looks like a Dutch and her weight is not far from the norm for the breed.

She may very well be purebred Harli but I would not be suprised if the was actually a Dutch with crazy coloring (there ARE harlequin Dutch but they have traditional Dutch markings). She might also be a Dutch/Harlequin mix (two different breeds).

Ruby looks a lot like my Morgan, whom I call a Harlequin/Dutch mix :).

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
She definitely has harlequin coloring.

There is a Harlequin breed, and all Harlequin rabbits have this coloring. However, the coloring also exists in some other breeds. So it's a far stretch to assume she's purebred based on coloring- or that she is even part Harlequin (the breed).

How much does she weigh?
She's about 6 pounds

Lishka wrote:
Awww... I didn't mean her markings are bad.. :foreheadsmack:
I just meant that for show quality.. but she is pretty. :bunnyheart
No worries Allison, I wasn't saying that because of your comment. I was just saying that I love her markings :)

Definatly looks like a Japanese Harlequin going on there.
Her body and size dont match up however.
I'd say pet quality considering her markings arent very clean.
But she sure is cute!!!

I just so happen to breed Harli's. =]

Latest posts

Back