What Breed is my Rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello my name is Chelsea I have a Rabbit Roxy (male) he is 7 years old but we never knew for sure what breed he was like I was told by the pet shop owner that he was a cross breed between hare and Lion haired rabbit but I honestly don't think he is big enough to be a hare cross breed? Do you not agree? ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1380631696.775048.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1380631716.501392.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I'm not a breeder, but he looks to be a Lionhead to me. True hares and rabbits cannot crossbreed (IIRC), but there is a breed of domestic rabbit called a Belgian Hare. They are quite large and also have a high arch (lots of space under their bellies and long legs), but I don't see any evidence of that in him at all.

If he's a cross, I'd guess with Holland Lop or Fuzzy Lop or Jersey Woolly. But I think he's pure Lionhead.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Thank you both so much and a lot of people say pure bread but when we got Roxy he was a rescued rabbit he was found with his sister huddled together in a box and he was very skinny but we took him in his sister was already bought and we got him and he is my little baby he is a healthy weight he is very fluffy haha and he is the cutest little thing :)

Yeah, you can never be 100% with rescues, especially as colour seems to be the only difference (at least that I can see!) between some breeds. Since you don't have a pedigree, you can always err on the safe side and call him a Lionhead cross. :)

Hope that helps!

Rue

He is a Lionhead, most likely purebred. =) He is also a rare, very sought out color called tricolor. He's really pretty and looks like he could be a show rabbit, especially if he had a pedigree.

I agree with lionhead but I say his color is broken tort. You can see shading on his nose ears and sides.

This is a lionhead for sure. He is what is called a broken tort. I love the torts one of my favorite colors the majority of my herd is torts:) This does not look to be a cross with a Belgian hare, that is a full arch breed and he doesn't look to have that full arch look. If he was a cross I would guess lionhead x Jersey wooly. Could't be a lopped earred rabbit because his ears would be more droopy. I would have guessed him to be a mostly pure lionhead. And Holy bone! Wowza I would love to have that in my herd! He is absolutely gorgeous!

I'm no expert, but from looking at the pictures of lionheads and other fluffy, furry rabbits, I say you have a lionhead and from the picture compared to other pictures I'd say most likely a purebred. My Hopper is lionhead and dutch mix. Good Luck and Enjoy your bunny :)

Thank you I keep him very well groomed and his coat in best condition possible, I was thinking of entering him in a show but was never sure weather I should or not and yes he is very huggable I love him to pieces!

Latest posts

Back