What breed is my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimaninamon

Reaction score
If anyone can help me out. The previous owners had no clue and I don't know enough about rabbits to tell myself.

P1040619.jpg

Tobias

If you need more pictures of him I can add more.

He is adorable. How much does he weigh?
I would guess possibly some English Spot or broken New Zealand in there but with the torte coloring I would lean more toward English Spot mixed with something else.

Ok so i took some measurements because he is finally starting to warm up to me which makes me estatic. No dead bunnies or binkys yet though but he comes up to me when i come in the room and when i sit with him he gets comfortable so i can pet him ears up and everything.

About a year don't know his b-day though.
Ears- 4 in
Length- 16 in nose to bottom
Weight- 7lbs roughly
Im not even sure he is a boy but i dont want to take pictures of him because he isn't all the way comfortable with me and still honks sometimes even when im slow and in a good place for him to see me. He definately doesnt like me in his cage he honks and trys to kick me with his front paws, but i just started taking him out to clean his litter box which he is doing very well with.

:bunnyheart

English Spots are a rarer breed, with a full-arch body type and not recognized in the tort color. So the spotted pattern of this rabbit is probably not caused by the ES breed, it looks like a general broken pattern that is common to many other breeds as well.

Also probably not Rex. The Rex fur is recessive, so you can have a Rex mix with normal fur. However, the body type and color doesn't quite match up again.

I would guess that this rabbit is probably from a few mixes themselves. He doesn't appear to have any outstanding/obvious breed features and just looks to be your general mix bunny. :)If you lived in the U.S. I'd say that it was likely part Holland Lop because that coloring is very common to that breed. But I'm not familiar enough with the breeds in Germany to make a guess like that.

It looks like that website is calling rabbits Rhinelander or English Spot mixes just based on their coloring. None of them appear to actually be mixes of those breeds.

Spotted patterns are common in many breeds...actually very few breeds are only available in solid patterns. But shelters and rescues tend to call them all marked rabbit mixes based on the coloring they see on the breeds page of the ARBA website, which is very misleading. For example, all rabbits with "eye circles" are not Dwarf Hotots, although they have characteristic eye circles. Likewise, not all rabbits with Dutch markings are Dutch mixes; there are other genes that can cause Dutch markings in other breeds too. Usually it doesn't matter anyway, they're just looking for good homes for them. But if you're wanting to figure out the actual breed of a rabbit, it's best not to compare and contrast based on color or fur type.

Having knowledge of the recognized breeds in the US only, I am not seeing any characteristics on your rabbit that point very obviously to any one breed. Like I said, you may have different breeds in Germany though so perhaps a more local and reputable breeder would be better able to help you compare. :)

lol thanks its not that big of a deal he is a rescue himself i just thought it would be cool to know. Thank you everyonr for trying to help out :)

Latest posts

Back