What Breed is my bunny! ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pezcore

Reaction score
hey guys, ive had my bunny for a few months... i have no clue how to tell the breads AT ALL! any help would be appriciated! heres some pictures!

My bunny when we first rescued her:

l_68d07d79105c4f62370d5c1252919198.jpg

My bunny a a month ago or so :

l_af7c00b4d33cebaf616c9b52b36b0d33.jpg

and then heres a picture for fun of her laying down for a petting session :

l_69419fd0b58f530d33f938df841007f5.jpg

Looks like a mini-rex to me but I can't tell if she has rex fur or not.

She's really cute! How much does she weigh?

the first picture she was probably about 6-8 weeks old tops ? the second picture she is about 5-6 months old and the last she was about 3 months old. she has definitely gotten bigger than the first picture ;)

when she was around 2 and a half months was the last time she was weighed at the vet, she weighed 1.06 pounds ...but i need to take her back to get checked up on so ill find out the new weight soon for you! shes definitely gotten heavier!

shes super soft if that helps determine what type of hair/bread she is

after doing some reading, it would seem my bunny has the size and body qualities of a mini rex but the hair isnt like a mini rex. i was reading that mini rex hair points out, but my bunnies hair lays down at a pretty medium length. she is very soft , almost silky, to the touch.

maybe shes a cross bread ?

I vote for whole wheat!! LOL, couldn't help that one... Bread is for eating and Breed is what your bunny is!

I also say she looks like a mini rex, and her colour looks like red to me.

Look at the pictures of the babies in this gallery:
http://www.biggercages.com/gallery/v/WildfireandBabies/BabiesAug172005/
Two of the babies are red mini rexes, as is the mother.

--Dawn

Ok, send me your bun and I'll feel the fur and tell you if she's has mini rex fur or not :p

pezcore wrote:
after doing some reading, it would seem my bunny has the size and body qualities of a mini rex but the hair isnt like a mini rex. i was reading that mini rex hair points out, but my bunnies hair lays down at a pretty medium length. she is very soft , almost silky, to the touch.

maybe shes a cross bread ?

Do you have additional photos? The fur does appear to be rex in the photos. She probably has a coat that isn't very dense and is a little longer, causing it to lay flatter.

Her whiskers appear to be curly rex whiskers in the photo (but it's hard to tell for certain).

Pam

I don't usually pick apart spelling, but when I glanced at this, I did a double take.. I thought this was a recipe or something...

Yanno.. Gollum... Rabbit Stew.. with Taters... boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew..

But if I would have to guess.. I would have to say.. Baguette... Day Old... Bakery on the left bank next to the sweet shop..

lol, wasnt so much a spelling error as much as typo. shoulda glanced over it when i was done , my bad ;)

some of her whiskers are LONG and pretty darn curly ;)

heres a couple of pictures i have on hand... ill hafta wait till tonite to get some more current up to date close up ones ;)

l_e75acd49a8234745b1905fc1be5aadf1.jpg

l_6437db74e31605740b3ed65d81080ca5.jpg

she also has a dark to light gray undercoat beneath the brown on the majority of her body... it turns whiter the closer you go to the belly and eventually becomes all white on the bottom

Yep, I really believe she's a mini-rex! I think pamnock hit it on the head..... her fur isn't as dense as it will be later or she's just got a thinner coat. I've seen a couple of mini-rex like that recently. Bo's fur wasn't as dense when he was a baby as it is now.. but he had rex fur pretty quickly.

Was she outside? do you know like in a dirty area or anything?

I also think she's a fawn. I love her! :D

pezcore wrote:
she also has a dark to light gray undercoat beneath the brown on the majority of her body... it turns whiter the closer you go to the belly and eventually becomes all white on the bottom
If there is not white band under the fawn coloring, then she's probably not a genetic Lynx.

Is the belly color white to the skin, or does it also have a light gray undercolor? What color are her eyes? (brown or blue-gray) Do you notice a ruby glow to the eye in subdued light, or is that just in the photos?

I'm trying to determine if she's possibly an Amber (chocolate agouti).

I have a couple excellent photos of an Amber that I've been meaning to post on my coat color site. I'll try to do it tonight so you can see and compare.

Pam

Here are the Amber Rex photos I was referring to:

LouisvillesAmberDoe.jpg

Junior_Amber_Ring.jpg

Note the gray undercolor and fawn intermediate band under a slightly darker chocolate tipped surface color. This differs from the fawn which does not have a dark undercolor. The true Lynx has a distinct pearl intermediate band.

I suspect Amber if your rabbit has a gray undercolor (although I have seensome fawn/oranges with improper gray undercolor as shown below:

badorange.jpg

These "smutty" oranges generally often have dark whiskers as opposed to clean fawn/oranges. This smutty orange does not havethe distinct 3 banded hair shaft ofan Amber (chocolate agouti).

Pam

"Was she outside? do you know like in a dirty area or anything?"

shes been a house bunny since she was around 6-8 weeks old :)

also, ill do some investigating tonite on my bunny and let you know about the shades underneath and the colour under her belly... im pretty sure shes white all the way thru tho on the belly and everywhere else is a light to dark grey shade underneath. the closer you get to her head tho the lighter the underneath becomes...butnear her butt and midway point of her back its gets really dark grey underneath. ive looked at what youve pointed out n ill try to see for you. im pretty sure her eyes are brown. once again ill stare into them tonite to be positive ;) and as far as the ruby thing ill hafta let you know on that too ;)

thanks to all of you whove responded and to all of you whove said kind things about her, ill be sure to tell her how cute you guys think she is! i love her ;)

I want an Amber now Pam!!! I love the agouti colors! Bo has me very partial to them LOL!

Bunny is adorable! I can't wait to see more photos of her sometime :)

btw - Welcome to RO :)

Hey Pam, is that a standard or a mini? I was just wondering, it looked like it had really long ears for a rex. I know mini's usually have shorter ears, but I haven't been around any standards in a long time. Thanks!

She looks like a Fawn mini rex to me. Her fur might not stand up because it is too long. I have had a few that were not showable due to the fur being too long. Also Fawn in not a showable color. I have had 2 fawn babies.

Here is a pic of one of my Fawn babies with an Opal that I had. They were about 4 weeks in the pic.

Hope this helps!

does.jpg

Latest posts

Back