What breed are they? Age guess?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbun3

Reaction score
I just got two rabbits, and they are awesome! A brown male, Thumper, and a Grey female, Flower. At first I put them in the same cage to sleep so they could keep eachother company, but they seemed to be annoying one another..maybe they were just playing, I'm not sure, so I split them up..two seperate cages to sleep in. During the day when they weren't out and playing I put them in the same cage because they wanted to be around eachother..they were fine. Should I be seperating them at night or no? Also, they are very friendly and tame so I let them loose in my room, they are fine..of course I keep an eye on them to be sure they are safe, and nothing gets damaged..but it's beautiful outside and I decided to let them hop around the yard! They really had fun playing, I have a 2 y/o neice and she adores them, so they got plenty of excersise and playtime with eachother! My yard is fenced in so they cannot get out, but is there any other dangers I may not be aware of? I do plan on getting them a play pen for outside, because I have a dog also..the dog does not try to harm them, but just to be 100% sure I don't want them always having free roam..birds of prey may be an issue...also because I have a small pond..not sure if bunnies are wise enough to stay out! As of right now they do not have a hutch to sleep in outside, but I will be getting one in the coming week.
smile.gif

Also I don't know the breed or age, I'm thinking American Lops..they don't look too old to me but, what do I know.. some strangers didn't want them, and brought them into a petstore..and I know the manager there, she knew I wanted bunnies..so she gave them to me instead of selling them. I do not believe they are spayed/neutured..but they will be if they aren't...I don't need baby bunnies everywhere! lol Any and all advice/opinions appreciated.

Thumper
Thumper002.jpg

Flower
Flower003.jpg

I've never heard of an American Lop. They look like the American version of a mini lop to me (breed names change by country). I really like Flowers color, it's beautiful!

Do you have a rabbit-savvy vet yet? Rabbits breed very quickly, and if they're not spayed/neutered yet then Flower is most likely pregnant. She may have already been pregnant depending on if she had contact with Thumper before you got them. I don't know how old they are but they do look old enough to be breeding. Depending on how far along Flower is, your vet may be able to spay her before she gives birth. If you're okay with that kind of thing.:)

It's best to keep them separate until they've been spayed/neutered. Mating happens very quickly, and females can get pregnant again on the same day they give birth.

thumper looks like a chestnut mini lop. . .due to the longer head and ears and flower looks like a sable point holland lop due to the shape and thickness of the ears and the color (sable point really isn't found that much in mini lops). they look more adult then younger rabbits, meaning i would say 6 months of age and up? flowers looks closer to a year based on her dewlap(the 'flap' of skin right under her chin, does get these as the age sometimes), not sure on thumpers age. . .

you will never be truely able to tell if they are mini lop or holland lop as a holland lop can reach 6 pounds (we had one that big) and a mini lop can be small at 4 pounds. . .depends on the lines and the rabbit. . .very cute though!

Latest posts

Back