what brand and type of food do you use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ani-lover

Reaction score
I have done a lot of research on different rabbit food/ pellets and would like to know what everyone else uses.

I used to use some nice pellets but even then Ididn't really trust them too much so I switched to a TON of italianparsley and mustard greens. Bud can eat those like crazy and they'relike $.79 a bundle @ wal-mart

Ours are new members to the family and they'vebeen feeding on:'super rabbit excel - junior' and they seemto love it.:cool:

Pellets should form only a tiny part of an adultrab's diet, the bulk to be of plenty of assorted greens &unlimited hay, with the occasional fruit treat & carrot bit.There is not necessarily any clear superiority as to pellet brands ingeneral except that low carb & low protein content matter foradults.
Growing buns can have a more "high octane" blend intended for growth.

The average rab can receive 1/8 to 1/4 cup of low-carb, low protein pellets a day, or more for larger ones.

This diet works well for the digestion & helps keep weightdown. An older rab may need a supplementary alfalfa pellet diet to helpmaintain weight.

turbotina wrote:
Our 2 dwarf bunnies get total 1/3rd cup Blue Seal Bunny 16every morning. I buy it at a local nursery

my rabbit gets 4 ounces of that formula every morning

Jace wrote:
Iused to use some nice pellets but even then I didn't really trust themtoo much so I switched to a TON of italian parsley and mustard greens.Bud can eat those like crazy and they're like $.79 a bundle @wal-mart
So, now you don't feed any pellets and only two types ofgreens? Please, start feeding either a much larger variety ofveggies and/or a small amount of pellets. Two types of veggiea day is not enough to ensure that the rabbit will be getting all thenecessary vitamins. Three is recommended for rabbits whostill eat some pellets but have a large part of their diet formed byveggies. Plus multiple types of hay (ie timothy, orchard grass, oathay, etc) should be fed to rabbits on a no-pellet diet. Evenwith feeding lots of varieties of veggies and hay it's still very hardto get all the right nutrients into the rabbit so most people do preferto feed a tablespoon or two of pellets.

If you still intend to feed a no-pellet diet, please do some research on proper feeding:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17

Oh, and I feed Oxbow Bunny Basics/T (the timothy formula). With lots of different veggies and three types of hay.:)

Yes, i should have said that! Almost impossibleto provide a bun with a balanced diet with greens only, even a varietyof greens. Best not to try. A decent pellet provides a pretty good mixof nutrients, which is one good thing about it.

Tunder gets 1/4 cup in the morning and at night of Supreme Fortified Daily Blend by Kaytee.

Mine get a small amount of Sunthing Specialpellets in morning and early evening, either Sunthing Special TimothyHay or Kaytee Timothy Hay in morning and early evening.Greens mid-evening, usually mustard greens or parsley.

While I'm thinking about it, I have a question. Angel, mymini-rex, doesn't eat that much of her hay. When I come home,it's always shoved in the corners or up against the cage. Anysuggestions? It seems like a lot of waste b/c when she doesthat it gets mixed up w/ hair and any poops that have falled out ofpotty pan and I throw away when I clean the cage.

Thanks! :?

To help keep the hay clean you can put a hayrack in the cage. why your rabbit doesnt eat much of it may be the hayis not fresh enough or she may perfer something different, possiblyeven fresh grass pesticide free of course.what kind of hay do you use.

Rabs may not like hay because they didn't get itwhen younger. None of mine would eat it, i tried different kinds.Finally i found they all love KayTee Timothy Cubes.

She hasa hay rack, it's not on thecage right now, when her and the cat met it got kind of crazy and itfell off, I haven't put it back on. She did it w/ that too,not eating much of it. I had given her differentkinds. Maybe I'll try grass. We didn't treat oursthis year so that might work. She's a finicky girl and alwaysthinks she's dirty, maybe a trait of the mini-rex. My husbandcalls her a priss. He he. :headflick:

lots of hay, lots of veggies, and kent feed.

we can only by kent in 50 pound bags here, i used it when i bredrabbits and loved the condition it kept them in, it is a nice food, soi decided that the was of food (because i DON'T use 50 poundsof rabbit feed in time) was worth it (since the other stuff i boughtfor them was like 10 pounds for $8, 50 pounds for $10 doesn't waste tomuch money.

katie

I feed my bunnies Burgesssupa rabbitnatural, along with a variety of greens, unlimited hay and occasionallya bit of apple or a few grapes as a treat.

They seem to like it and I'm happy enough with it. It's the only goodbrand that my closest pet shop stocks so it's actually my only realchoice.

Mine get amix of three kinds ofpellets -- Oxbow BBT, Martin Less Active (both timothy-basedpellets)and a bulk 12 to 14% proteinalfalfa. They just get a small handful of pelletsdaily.

They get TONS of hay-- usually two different types -- Timothy first or second cut, and a meadows grass or oat hay.

They get at leastfour, usuallysix, differentveggiesin every salad, so no one veggie is overdosed andthere's a variety of nutrients. (Favs are bokchoy,regularkale, dark green celery leaves,romaine, broccoli (stems), cauliflower,carrot tops, carrots,rainbow chard, beet greens, Italian parsley, raddichio,arugulaand cilantro). I try for mostly greenswithone different coloured veggie everymeal.

The rotation is never sudden with a total change of all veggies, I tryto keep anything new down to 20% or less of the total. I'llalso have at least a three day break between feedings of Kale,parsleyand other high calcium oxalates (nobunny likesspinach, anyway), and I try to only feed one high calcium veggie at atime (dandelion, parsley,radish leaves,collard,mustard greens). There'sanoccasionalthree-day break on all high calciumveggiesas well.

They get a very small piece of fruit as a treat every day, or extracarrot. (They still love me for it). :)

The oat-head gets fed single oat flakes, five or so at a sitting, alsoas a treat. This is a craisin-free house (although might gofor some unsweetened ones for UT health whenwarranted).

They eat WAY better than me. I haven't had a salad for myselfsince the last two or three bunnies arrived. I never have enough!

sas :)and the gang of five :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

i feed my two mini lops a bowl full of superrabbit excel pellets each evry evening and fresh greens in the moringand they also get hay but they arnt very keen on it so if gioven thechoice they will always eat the pellets even though i get the realygood quility timothy hay for them. i good quility but is quiteexpencive!!

Kahlua is currently eating 1/2 cup of alfalfapellets (from the feedstore) but I am thinking about switching her totimothy based pellets, probably Kaytee becuase I can get thoselocally. She also get unlimited hay, usually bermuda,timothy, or orchard grass hay. She also gets 2 cups ofveggies daily, with at elast 3 different kinds of veggies.Her favorites are broccoli, romaine lettuce, parsley, cilantro, andgreen pepper. I make sure to rotate veggies so that nooverdosing on calcium or vit a occurs.

Latest posts

Back