what are the signs of a male?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dashie

Poptart's Owner
Reaction score
Poptart is now over a year old, I just noticed about 15 mins ago while he was out and about on the floor that he was indeed trying to MOUNT my poor cat. I haven't be able to find out the sex of my rabbit and Poptart won't let me hold him at all, so I can't do it myself... Can someone give me clue to if this is a Indeed male?

Just because he/she mounted your cat does not mean that it is a boy. I once introduced my rabbit (which is a boy) to a female rabbit and she was the one to mount him and he just sat there. The best way to find out is to have someone help you pick him/her up and look around the genital area. You could go on YouTube or google and look up how to "sex" a rabbit to find out what gender it is.

Here is a page that explains pretty much everything- http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/sexing-rabbits.html

Since s/he's over a year old, you really only have to determine whether or not testes are there.

I would suggest wrapping a towel/small blanket around Poptart first, firmly holding them, then slowly tilting them back into a cradled position. Covering their eyes can also help keep them relaxed. Make sure the wrap around them is able to be 'opened' once they're on their back so you can take a looksee.

Side note: when we were first clipping my girl bunny's nails, my much older sister insisted she was actually a boy! The fur around her privates is kind of poofy and in a.... misleading shape. Very tiny misleading shape. I had to explain to her that's not what was there, lol. :p

Back