What are the best veggies to feed a bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TootWittleFuffyTail

Reaction score
I was wonderingwhat the very best veggies are to give to a rabbit..I gave our bunnykale for a while and it made her sick with diahrea which led to the flystrike..also, I was giving her spinach until I heard that can causetoxicity..sheesh..I thought I was helping and I just seem to keepgiving her the wrong things...The main thing I give her is Timothy Haywhich she doesn't want to eat and alphalpha pellets mixed with driedfruit and veggies..it comes as a blend..I give her a peice of appleoccasionally and sometimes banana...but she really needs greens and I'mafraid of what to give her...

Thanks for the help in advance:)

Hi Toot,

I'd wouldn't give her greens at this point. A good quality pellet food,(18% or more of crude fiber and at least 12% or more of crude protein)is usually a good feed. Between that and plenty of timothy hay andfresh water, she'll get what she needs the most. I'd get her healthyfirst because you don't want another run with diarreha.
Personally, I don't feed my rabbits many vegetables at all. I only givethem to them as treats because of the high content of sugar. I rely onthe pellet food to provide them with what they need.

Angoralover has led you to an excellent site for safe foods for rabbits.

:)

Your mother is a lovely lady. She does love your little bunny so much.I'm keeping the three of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Keep us posted on how your little one is doing.

-Carolyn

Thank you Carolyn..this is Annie's mom again(Robin)

We do give her pellets mixedwith grains and dried fruit that come blended in the package with thepellets...I will lay off the greens for a while...I tried to call threevets this morning and none of them were any help..I can't affordsurgery and I'm sure that's what it would take and even that is noguarantee...I'll just keep praying and loving her..that's about all Ican do...

Big Hugsss,

Robin and Annie

alphalphapellets mixed with dried fruit and veggies..it comes as a blend..I giveher a peice of apple occasionally and sometimes banana...but she reallyneeds greens and I'm afraid of what to give her...

Hello Robin,

alot of your rabbits problem lieswith your choice of Pelleted feed. There is way too much sugar in thosefeeds with the pretty colored candy bits. The further additionof fruit [SUGAR] is only exacerbating the problem. I wouldpurchase a pelleted rabbit feed from a feed store if possible or at thevery least one without the sugery treats mixed in. Stop feeding thefruits and vegetables and give only Grasshay Rolled Oats or better yetwhole oats and water. Be sure the rabbit is drinking as dehydration isoften what eventually kills the rabbit. I hope thishelps.

Dennis,C.V.R.
That little kit in front is an opal Satin

Latest posts

Back