What are the best pellets to feed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There really isn't one brand that is best for all rabbits. A lot depends on the age, breed or size, why you are getting the rabbit, where you will keep it, if you plan on getting it spayed or neutered, what your budget it and what is available in your area.

Rabbits used for breeding have different needs than those kept as pets and are spayed or neutered. Outdoor rabbits have different needs than indoor pets. Young rabbits and adults have different needs. Some breed also have specific needs.

Young rabbits should have an alfalfa based pellet. Once they get to be around 6 months, you may want to consider switching to a timothy pellet. Pet rabbits tend to need less protein, usually around 14-16%. I like Oxbow pellets, but they can be pricey.
There are also some feed store brands such as purina and manna pro, but they tend to be more for breeding rabbits. Some of the formulas can be suitable for pets. These feeds to tend to be cheaper, but you do get a 50 pound bag and that can be hard to go through with just 1 rabbit.

Avoid any pellets that have added bits like seeds, nuts and coloured pieces. These mixes are really junk food and most rabbits will pick out the 'good' stuff and leave the pellets. Stick to a plain pellet.

It is important to switch pellets slowly. Get some of whatever the rabbit was fed before, most breeders will give a small sample so you can switch. Mix the new and old pellets, starting with more old than new and gradually increase the amount of the new while decreasing the old until you are just giving the new pellets.

I personally perfer Martins Little Friends Adult Timothy formula. My Acacia is eating Oxbow T/basics now but it makes her drink more water. Plus she prefers the taste better, and I like the smell better! ^^

Back