What are my chances of....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoecat6

Reaction score
DSC00055.jpg

While visiting my local pet store for supplies I was offered this babythat is less than 24 hours old because the mother won't let it nurse,or be in the nest. She's fine with the other 3 babies butdoesn't want this one. It's a newborn baby rex and I'm hopingto save it, but am wondering what my chances are, and exactly how tocare for the little guy. One of the things that I am not sureof is exactly how much and how often to feed the baby. Ibought kitten milk replacer with colostrum to try to feed itwith. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi,

Get yourself some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) and if you can some kittenbottles. While it's still young, within the first 48 hours,you can still get it to suckle.

You have to trim the end of the nipple for the bottle untill you get a nice thin stream.

There's some really good websites with info on how to hand feed youngbabies. There is a good chance it won't make it, but chancesare better if you can get it to suckle and feed with abottle. Less chance of getting milk in it's lungs.

Otherwise you'll have to use a syringe and very carefully let it lick the milk of the end.

http://www.mybunny.org/info/newborn.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

http://www.awrc.org/Cottontail Rabbits.htm

There are lots more websites, do a google search with hand feeding baby rabbits, and you'll get a ton of info.

Make sure it stays warm as well, if it's cold, it won't eat.

--Dawn

Hi Zoe :

First off you need tobe able to keep it warm, did the pet store give you any ofthe mothers fur withthe baby ?

If not your going to have touse a towel and a heating pad set as low as possible, and be sure the babycant squirm down and get onit with out protection . Iwould prefer if you have afemale rabbit to pull some furoff her and use that and a bed of hay ,.a little fur under the baby and lots ontop .

The KMR / colstrum was a goodidea . but be verycarefull they can and will asperatequickly , feed once in the morning and once inthe evening , stimulate the baby eitherbefore or after feeding . (this is a must ) .

Please for you own sanityHon try not to get too attached , itsnot easy hand feeding and trying to reara baby this small . sucess rate is veryvery low . Im not trying to be mean , butI want you tounderstand if the mother kicked itout and wouldnt feed it , thattheres something not right .Its very hard if the baby starts tofade to bring it back aroundand make it want to try and survive .

Hand feeding is notfor the Faint of heart .its very time consuming . andvery heart breaking . If youneed moral support yellwe will help to the bestof our ability .

I'm using an eyedropper and it seems like I amonly getting a couple of drops into the baby, I'm being very carefullas I don't want it to go into the lungs. How much milk isenough for a baby a day old, is a couple of dropsenough?

Not only did the petstore not give my any of the mothers hair, they hadremoved all of it so none of the babies have it. They havethe mother and babies in an aquarium with wood shavings on the bottomwith no nest of any kind.

Oh good grief Zoe, You ned to call someone onthis those babies will likelyfreeze to death , they cannotmaintain body temperature with out thehay and fur . and themother will not keep them warm asa cat or dog will .Iam so begining to hate pet stores, I cant believe they took all the furout ! what freakin idiots.

I think I would go back to the pet shop and get the mother and the other babies.

Ed

Good call!! The little baby will have a much higher survival rate if he/she is in with its siblings.

I bet they just thought the mom was moving it away from the others whenit really just wiggled away! Expecially if there's no nestbox or hay to keep them all together.

Call the SPCA, or go in and try to help the mom and babies!!

As for the amounts to feed the babies, look on the websites I gave you. A couple of them have charts.

I had to hand feed some babies a little bit ago, and I know it's reallyhard. Just keep trying to get the little one to eat untillit's had a decent amount. You should also try to get either asyringe or a kitten bottle ASAP, because an eye dropper it is easierfor the baby to aspirate and it's hard to tell how much the baby hashad.

Keep us updated!!!

--Dawn

I use eye droppers only because I was worriedthat I would push down on the syringe too hard and get too much inthere. Eye droppers are great because you can control (withmuch more ease) how much is going in there. Use the glassones with the black rubber top.

I fed my babies about four times a day because I was concerned I wasn'tgetting enough in them. If your baby is lively and warm, itis o.k. If it doesn't move to the touch, that is a problem.

Make sure after each feeding that you stimulate it to go to thebathroom. I use a cottonball soaked in warm water.This usually works every time. This is an absolutemust. Your baby will swell up and die if you don't get it topee.

Let us know how the baby is doing.

Sharon

When I got up and fed the baby this morning Icouldn't believe how active it was, the little guy was squirming likecrazy. As soon as it gets its meal it curls up and fallsasleep. I've got a real warm nest for him and am hoping howmuch he moves is a good sign.

As for the pet store...they specialize in reptiles but always have alarge amount of bunnies:(, I've gotten 4 of mine there partially out ofsympathy for the animals. I know for a fact if the bunnydoesn't get sold or is defective in any way they will use them to feedthe snakes:(:(. There is no way that they would let me takethe mother and babies, I was surprised that they let me take this one.

I just checked a sight and it said for newbornbunnies to give 5 CC's of formula. My syringe and eyedroppersonly measurements are ML or tsp. Can anybody help me withthis?

A cubic centimeter is basically the same amount as a milliliter.

(1 milliter = 1.000028 cubic centimeters)

Pam

:rose: :pray: :rose:

Bless your heart, Zoecat. I'm thinking and praying for you and this little angel.

-Carolyn

I helped hand-feed 3 baby buns years ago whentheir mom was killed by a bear! (in the wilds of western PA...) Theywere a week or so old when I got them, and they all survived:)
It was such a rewarding experience, and I found good homes for all of them. It was hard parting with them, though... :sad:

I would still go back to the pet store and tellthem you want the mother and babies. Say they are operatingas a breeder without a license or something.

Ed

Latest posts

Back