What are Dutch supposed to look like?

Discussion in 'The Rabbitry and Show Room' started by whitelop, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jul 25, 2013 #1

whitelop

whitelop

whitelop

Morgan

I know a little bit about the Dutch breed, like their weight is 3.5-5.5lbs. They come in an assortment of colors.
    Ellie is mismarked, so I'm not asking about her colors or anything.
    But what should her body look like? I think she's getting fat BUT I'm not sure what she should look like or feel like. She's like a ball with ears. Is that right?
    Since you guys are show-ers/breeders, could you show me some pictures of what the proper look for a Dutch is? Or tell me is she looks normal per breed standard?
    I think she weighs about 4 lbs.
    Here are some pictures. And she's probably not posed right. Or the best example of the breed, since she's a pet shop Dutch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks guys!

2. Jul 26, 2013 #2

majorv

majorv

majorv

Ideal weight for a Dutch 6+ months old is 4 1/2 pounds. Do you know her approximate age? If she's still young then she may be a little overweight. Dutch have a full, rounded hindquarter and hers is fairly rounded but a little pinched.

3. Jul 26, 2013 #3

woahlookitsme

woahlookitsme

woahlookitsme

Shes cute :) Dutch are a compact breed so they are supposed to be little balls. Short and round bodied. Its hard to find top down views of dutch just searching on google but maybe Blaze_Amita can get some pics of hers.

She's definitely got a longer body (Shoulders and midsection mainly). If she is young she could probably stand to loose or not gain much more

Heres a picture of a nice dutch posed. Definitely shorter bodied than yours but you can still tell they are round

20120704-014101.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    OakRidgeRabbits likes this.
  4. Jul 26, 2013 #4

whitelop

whitelop

whitelop

Morgan

Oh, I see what you're saying Sarah! Thanks!
    And she's 9 months old.

Thanks guys! I think she needs to loose a little weight. Thats easier said than done with little porky. haha.

5. Jul 26, 2013 #5

OakRidgeRabbits

OakRidgeRabbits

OakRidgeRabbits

Sarah's post/picture is right on. :) Your girl is a bit long in the shoulder/midsection and appears pinched in the hindquarter. She has beautiful markings though! On show Dutch, they're to have very precise and even markings. Even the one in Sarah's pic is a little "wiggly." Dutch are a very difficult breed to work with since you have to try for correct body AND markings.

6. Jul 26, 2013 #6

whitelop

whitelop

whitelop

Morgan

I've read that its SO difficult to get a Dutch that is marked right. Like, even if the parents have perfect markings, the babies could still come out wonky like mine! haha. I couldn't even imagine trying to breed these for show!
    I do love perfectly marked Dutch too, especially the chins. But I like my little mismarked girl! LOL

Thanks for all your help guys!

7. Jul 26, 2013 #7

majorv

majorv

majorv

The nice thing about Dutch is that you know very quickly whether they're good show quality or not. With a lot of breeds you have to wait...and wait...:waiting: