Quantcast

What Antibiotics To Use?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
Hi, I have a friend who's bunny has pasterella (sp?), with sneezing, leaky eyes and nose. It's been getting worse the past 6 months. The bunny has been on different antibiotics in the past. He's had it as long as she's had him...she adopted him from someone at the age of 2 he's now 8. The 2 antibiotics he's been on are Baytril and ChlorPalm. She'd like to ask the Vet if their are any other antibiotics he can go on but would actually like to suggest a name of one. We are in Canada not sure if all antibiotics are the same/or available around the world. So preferably people from Canada make suggestions.

Thanks for your help
Susan
semcs56@rogers.com

Aki

Reaction score
Pasteurella is notoriously difficult to treat and can't always be cured. It can come from a lot of different viral strains and you often have to try several antibiotics to find one that works. Penicillin G is sometimes used (in injection ONLY, it's toxic otherwise). Sometimes an apparent pasteurella hides an allergy problem (in that case, it's cortisone).
If it were my rabbit, I would ask the vet to make tests to find which bacteria is responsible of the problem and avoid losing time by trying things that won't help.

missyscove

Christina - Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like this rabbit could benefit from a culture and sensitivity. That can confirm the causative bacteria and help select an appropriate antibiotic.