What am I?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CapeCodRabbit

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and look forward to learning all I can from you! I have 10 rabbits at this point but have a question on one. I purchased two rabbits from a local pet shop about 2 years ago and they were sold to me as mini lops. One turned out to be what I expected a mini lop to look like and the other, well, turned out to be about 5X larger. I recently weighed the rabbit (doe) and she came in at 15 1/2 pounds! Included are two pictures of my rabbit, one is with my pet Jack Russel and the other, a standalone. Does anyone have any ideas as to what she is?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you all can give me!
CapeCodRabbit!

IMG_7442.jpg

IMG_7448.jpg

Is one ear lopped? Sorry I can't quite tell.

But golly, she's huge, isn't she?!
I'm inclined to say she's probably a mix, but there are plenty of people here who know better than me, so hopefully they can help. :)

Thank you Tessiesaurus!
Yes one ear down, one ear up! I tried another section of this forum and I think it was referred to as Helicopter ears? I tried to follow the breed area to try to determine but the "helicopter ear" link brought me to the mini lop page! She may have some lop in her but no MINI!
Yes, she is a giant but very kind and gentle (except to my dog!). I withheld the next picture in that sequence where she lunges at him!
Thanks again - hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
CapeCod Rabbit

She looks to be a mix, and she doesn't really have any telling features that would point to specific breeds. Weight and ear carriage aren't necessarily indicators of any specific breeds. Some breeds with vertical ears can have one lop, for any number of reasons, and weight can vary a lot when the rabbits aren't bred by someone with specific goals in mind.

I have no idea about breeds but that huge bunny is so cute :)

Definitely a mix. She has the English Spot stripe up her back. Lilli is around 14 pounds and is the longest rabbit I've seen--she's got helicopter ears that stick strait out as she doesn't have the lop type head and she's part Californian (guessing). When we rescued Serena, we were told she was an English Spot mix and full grown at 7 pounds--she got to almost 20 pounds and it turns out she was about 4 months old and a pure Checkered Giant. Unless you're there when they are "made" it's really hard to figure it out for sure. I love it when someone sees her the first time and we get the "I didn't know rabbits were that big".

Thank you Nancy McClelland! When my friends come over, they are definitely shocked to see the size of her! I was just surprised when the first of the two we bought was full grown and the other (Sonya), just kept on growing!! The place we bought them from is a reputable local shop so I thought I was getting what I ordered! We are actually thrilled how it turned out because of the incredible personality that Sonya has!

She really looks like a English Spot/ or English Spot mix, but she sure is CUTE! She looks like she is as big as my Brooke.. but Brooke is now 12 pounds...

Vanessa

Thank you Vanessa! I took a look at some English Spot pics online and I think you're "spot" on! Looks like I have myself a English Spot mix... Thank you!

I definitely do not say english spot mix. The body type on her is Semi Arch and NOT FULL ARCH. Semi-Arch rabbits tend to be big rabbits. I know that broken flemish are not a recognized color but that some breeders are working on them. I have never personally seen one but your rabbit looks to be broken fawn/orange in color.

Here is a video I made for broken colored rabbits that are not english spots.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5GBu-6GfM4[/ame]

CapeCodRabbit: you have a mix. The two that I would say English Spot and Lop. Watermelons and woahlookitsme: you two need to have your eyes checked because in the pic in the first post the rabbit is laying down. Plus, watermelons, English Spots have spots and the stripe, broken does not have spots and a stripe.

Marsha, that is not an English spot rabbit, nor a mix of one. Not even close. And MANY varieties of broken rabbits have the spots and stripes. And they have absolutely NOTHING to do with English spot rabbits.
Odds are that rabbit doesn't have Lop in her either. Many things can make a rabbits ears lop and that rabbit wont even be remotely close in relation to any lop eared breed.
And I highly suggest you pay close attention to what Sarah has said. Let the experts answer the "Guess the breed" posts please.

I have watched the video that woahlookitsme posted. Broken rabbits don't have the stripe along the back. Show me some varieties of rabbits that have the stripe along the back. English Spots are one breed that has the spots and stripe along the back. Also may I suggest that you look up English Spot rabbits and look at the images of them. Then look up the broken ones. They are different.

Marsha, It's not my job to use google for you.
That is not an English spot.
English spots are a fully arched breed, they have a very petite frame and head. They have VERY specific spot patterns and shape to their dorsal stripe.
The rabbit the OP has posted has a very broken stripe, random spots, massive head, ears and frame. Nothing even remotely close to an English spot.

TOO many people are labeling rabbits like this as English spots, or spot mixes so the breed is getting a very false appearance. They are very rare and special.
For the same reason not all rabbits that look like a dutch, are really dutch rabbits. Some are simply Vienna marked of a totally different breed.
And the thing with "Broken" colours is that the pattern can look completely different on every single rabbit.

Lets have a quick refresher here shall we?

Here is a real English spot.
Notice the PERFECT stripe and spots? Notice the head shape? Body shape?

images

images

English+Spot+1.jpg

And here are some BROKEN variety rabbits.
NONE of these below are English spots, or mixes with English spot in them.

images

champion-sophi.jpg

225px-Breeds-polish-brokenchocolate.jpg

0000Forego1BOV.jpg

images

Last edited:
Yes I know. I corrected my guess as I posted the link to the arba website of rabbit breeds. The rabbit the OP posted is a mix rabbit, I am, as said in my last post before this one, now guessing Rhinelander mix, after seeing the pics of rabbits on that link I posted.

CapeCodRabbit: you have a mix. The two that I would say English Spot and Lop. Watermelons and woahlookitsme: you two need to have your eyes checked because in the pic in the first post the rabbit is laying down. Plus, watermelons, English Spots have spots and the stripe, broken does not have spots and a stripe.

I find your reply very rude and naive. I do not need my eyes checked and do understand that the rabbit is laying down but it is in a position to see the very long shoulder area and slow rise to the top of the hips. The description of what I just described is a Semi Arch Rabbit. Yes a proper photo of the rabbit pictured should be in different positions and one of them laying is not ideal but it is what we were given.

Also if you actually knew the color description for a broken colored rabbit and have seen a few then you would actually know Brokens have the stipe along the back and spots.
Color description for a Brit
:
"Broken – Color is to include any recognized breed variety in conjunction with white. Petite is to have color on both ears, around the eyes and a nose marking. (No preference given for a butterfly over an evenly balanced nose marking.) The body pattern may be spotted, with individual colored spots or patches over the back, sides, and hips, or a blanket pattern with color starting at or near, the neck and continuing over the back, side and hips. Preference is to be given to an evenly balanced pattern. Toenails white, {no fault or

disqualification for colored toenail(s). Eye color is to as described in the respective varieties.
Faults
– Unbalanced nose marking, unbalanced body markings or uneven color.
Disqualifications
– The absence of color on the nose, ears, or around the eyes. Eye color other than called for. Excessive white hairs
in the colored section. No disqualification for white spot in the colored section. Color less than 10 or more than 50%.
(Judge’s opinion)"

English Spots are a whole different pattern than the broken colored rabbit. Each marking is specific in its placement and each marking has its own disqualification or fault if not placed or marked correctly. English spot breeders work too hard on the placement and correction of markings on an english spot for them to be confused with a broken rabbit. The most you have to remember for a broken rabbit is that there cant be too many stray white hairs, the rabbit should have a nose marking in the whisker bed, and color should be between 10 and 50% of the rabbit. The multitude of rules in spots are far greater and should be respected. This is probably the most annoying part to me when people say a broken rabbit is a "Spot mix" when there should be no comparison. Please do not insult others intelligence and knowledge of different breeds. Yes sometimes there are plenty of mixed breeds that I dont comment on because every comment is just a complete guess. Especially when the owner has no clue of the history to educate people on what the breed is actually mixed with.

Oh and I have plenty of PERSONAL pictures of polish rabbits (purebred i might add) that do have spots and the stripe down the back. This in no way shape or form compares to the Side Markings (proper name for side spots in the English Spot rabbit) and the Herringbone Marking (proper name for the stripe down the back of an english spot rabbit) of an english spot. Here is some reading material for you to look up the insane amount of rules to an english spots markings: https://sites.google.com/site/watchmerunspots/englis-spots/judging

Please do not comment that this rabbit is a Rhinelander. Rhinelanders have almost the same requirements that a spot does. This rabbit is not tricolor (no where are there black spots on this rabbit) and not a rhinelander.

As for the breed mix I am going to highly suggest a semi-arch rabbit mix. I am really leaning toward a flemish mix. I will ask the rabbit breeders if anyone has a picture they can post of a broken flemish giant to post on here for comparison.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back