What age to spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaileysMom

Reaction score
Ok so Little Lady my black mini rex is turning 5 months old April 12th, when is it ok to get her spayed. Right now she is really sweet and doesn't have any behavior issues, other than her sudden litterbox digging (more a nutiance then behavior issue) I would really like to get her fixed BEFORE any issues should arise, is it safe to do it now or should I wait for the full 6 months?

She is old enough to spay right now. In our rescue, we get them spayed at 4 months. I've actually had rabbits spayed at 3 months when they started to exhibit hormonal behaviors (some breeds mature before others.)

Ok thankyou, I think I will call Monday then and set up the appt. I know the dutch's that I just got I was told they are 4 months old and were spayed/neutered a month ago, I thought that was kind of young but maybe not.

The not-so-savvy vet that spayed Acacia 4 yrs ago would not do it until Acacia was 6 months. I don't know if things changed there yet or not. So I guess it depends on vets and their savvy-ness :)

Well I called today and Little Lady has an appt. April 21st to get spayed. Poor little thing is gonna be sore on Easter weekend but atleast we should be home to keep a close eye on her. I'm sure I'll be nervous the whole time, this is the first female I personally have had to get done, the rest were males and I know theirs are usually a little easier.

With males you have to wait until their testicles drop but females are essentially ready from the day they're born. What you're really waiting for is for them to be big enough to safely be anesthetized. As long as your vet is comfortable with her size, she should be good to go.

Latest posts

Back