What Age to Show?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minirexmama

Reaction score
For all of you avid showers and/or judges: I have some Junior MR that I'd like to start showing sometime, but not sure what the best age to start is. I've seen very young Jr's on the table that don't have the fur quality yet, and the judges marked them down for that. Is 3 months a good age?

You can start showing as soon as it hits the minimum Jr weight for it's breed. Then you should be able to determine whether it's good enough to put up a fight on the show table.

It's generally best to wait until they molt out their baby coats at about 12 weeks of age. Some of those juniors that people put on the table when they hit minumum weight are way too young and they get too stressed at the show.

Pam

I usually don't start showing my MR until they are at least 4 months old. They don't have the maturity or fur before then. If you have a small show close to home and you want opinions on them go ahead and show them at 3 months

Roger

I was thinking of waiting until 3+ months for the coats to come in. I agree that I've seen some Jr.s that are just too young on the table.

my hollands and dutch i wait until 3 months, unless they're starting to shed baby coats. I had one dutch that didn't hit the show tables until she was 6 months because she missed her 3.5 month old show due to the baby coat shedding out and then we went into winter.

Latest posts

Back