What age to feed Veggies and fruit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyjr

Reaction score
What is a best age to start feeding a bun veggies and fruit... I know not alot of fruit just for snacks.

Thanks, Misty

I have read that at 12 weeks you can start introducing them, 1 veggie at a time and very small amounts. I did this with my youngest and he is doing very well.

the first fruit i gave Poker was an apple, just a small piece when he was around 13 weeks old.. i did go slowly with it though.. then he started getting banana, carrots, parsley, and all that other good stuff :)

I would actually introduce veggies before fruit. Veggies are part of a healthy diet, but fruits are high in sugar and can cause tummy upset. I would get your buns eating veggies for at least a couple weeks before trying any food.

Things like parsley and romaine are really good to start out with. Pretty much any leafy green will be good. Just give a small amount every day and make sure no one has any poopy butt problems.

Today. I feed all the bun 1 leaf of celery. They all ate it but the bigger black didnt much care for it. but he ate it. After they tried it they wanted more. The small doe wanted more. But I didnt.

It's not uncommon for some rabbits to not like new foods at first. Just try again tomorrow.
If they don't show any bad effects after a few days, you can increase the amount you give. S if you give them 1 leaf for a few days, and there's no "poopy butt" or anything like that, give them 2 leaves next.
Then next week you can try adding 1 piece of another vegetable, and see how they do with that.

One other thing I've experienced is, just because a veggie or fruit seems to give a bun poopy butt, doesn't mean it always will.So if a fruit or veggie seems to upset bunny's tummy, I'd stop feeding it for now. ButI'd try it again later once bunny's system has gotten used to eating a more varied diet. If it still causes poopy butt, then I'd never feed it again. But this happened with Gus with craisins and I'm really glad I tried them again, because now he loves them! :biggrin2:

Hope that helps!

Rue

Back