What age do you tattoo your babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyAcresHomestead

Reaction score
I've got 2 of my 4 kits sold already. Deposit is made, non-breeding agreement is signed...just waiting for them to wean and ensure they're eating and drinking well on their own.

This is the first time working with papered rabbits and actually tattooing them.

The buyer is getting them for her two kids to show with the 4H and all of the other farming clubs in our area so she needs them tattooed.

My plan was to wait until right at 8 weeks, but I want to make sure that the tattoo is legible when done and healing properly before I send them home.

When do you tattoo yours?
Thanks.

i do it as soon as their ears are large enough for my clamp. i tattooed my last litter when they were 5 weeks old. i like for all of the ink to come off before the new owners come to pick them up.

We use a tattoo pen and usually do it just before we take them to their first show, which means around 9-12 weeks. When we had Californians we had to tattoo them for a meat pen when they were 8 weeks old.

i do it as soon as their ears are large enough for my clamp. i tattooed my last litter when they were 5 weeks old. i like for all of the ink to come off before the new owners come to pick them up.

That was my concern as well. I use a clamp and I want to make sure that the tattoo isn't smudged as well.

I guess I'll do it the beginning of next week. They'll be 7 weeks old and with their big angora ears I guess they'll be fine! lol

OMGosh! If you can get a clamp on them at 5 weeks, I'm sure my kits are ready now! lol I just feel bad doing it, but it has to be done! I wish my hands were steady enough to use a tattoo pen!

Back