What a mess!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memesbunnies

Reaction score
Well, it seems you can not be a clean freak when you have a rabbit living in the house with you! With a 6 year old son and myself away at work all day I do not need any help in the "making the house a mess" department but Just Bunny seems to make more of a mess then we do.

There is hay and shavings all over, then I piled a bunch of boxes in a corner of the kitchen and he has been having a hay day in there! There are pieces of cardboard all over the floor then they get drug through the rest of the house. What a mess. Good thing we do not get much for visitors in our house!

Is there any way you can contain the hay better? I tried quite a few things before I found a method that works for us. We still get stray pieces around, but at least it's not huge clumps like before.

For the shavings, are they just in his litter box, or in a cage? Bunnies don't need shavings as bedding in their cage, just litter box, so eliminating those could help your situation a lot.

I'm a bit of a clean freak, but decided to bring Muppet inside for the winter anyhow. We have her down in our playroom in a giant wire dog kennel. There is nothing in the bottom of her cage, except for some shelf liner so she doesn't slip. Then we use wood stove pellets in her litter box. Those seem to keep the cleanest. And she doens't eat hay, so I never find that anywhere (although there is some in a bowl in her cage, just in case). I also clean her littler box every day, because I cannot stand the urine smell even just a tiny bit. And the poops get picked up from the bottom of her cage and put in her litter box every couple hours or so (told you I was a freak). ;)

Maybe get rid of your shavings and use pellets in the litter box?

I find cardboard shavings everywhere as well, but those are easy enough to vacuum up every day.

Good luck!

yes, bunnies are messy little critters, i have hay everywhere! :X seems like i am clogging up my vacuum every other day with it.

elrohwen wrote:
Is there any way you can contain the hay better? I tried quite a few things before I found a method that works for us. We still get stray pieces around, but at least it's not huge clumps like before.

For the shavings, are they just in his litter box, or in a cage? Bunnies don't need shavings as bedding in their cage, just litter box, so eliminating those could help your situation a lot.
^^ what she said.

we made the mistake of having wood shavings as "bedding" for our rabbits - boy what a mess that was. it would take HOURS AND HOURS to clean out their cage and the dirty wood shavings would fly everywhere *sigh*.

the flooring under our bunnies ranges from cardboard (entertains them to dig it up), plastic sheeting and contacted cardboard.

Latest posts

Back