what a crazy random happenstance!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy_landlocked

Reaction score
i'm not exactly new to rabbits. i had several of them growing up, but i think i may need some help with this situation.

on sunday i got a call from my grandma, asking me to come pick up a rabbit from her place. she couldn't keep it because of her jealous, hyper little yorkie. someone else gave her the rabbit the night before. it was found wandering around a park in the middle of the night, scared but friendly.

so i went to pick up this rabbit. it just so happens that my little sister - a teenager, not a child - had been vaguely looking for a pet rabbit. in fact, i had just received a call on saturday from a local pet store, saying their breeder had brought in two baby bunnies, but i told them no thanks, because my sister wanted to wait and see if a rabbit somewhere "needed us". this seemed PERFECT. thanks universe!

however, when we got her home, we realized a couple things. one - she was covered with wood ticks, which, in the northern midwest in april, are not exactly in full force, so i'm assuming she must have been out for a while. while removing the ticks, my sister realized that her fur is coming out under her chin and neck. uh oh, right? possible sign of pregnancy? she's not nesting yet, just has very loose fur under there.

in all of my years of bringing home rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, and rats from questionable situations, i have NEVER brought home a pregnant animal. my parents have been very patient with me, but this might just drive my mother over the edge. i don't live with my parents any more, but my sister still does. i can't keep rabbits at my apartment because i have two crazy kittens and i feel like that could be disastrous. plus my apartment has limits.

also my mother has allergies, and this rabbit has that lovely really dense soft fur that would make her itch like crazy, so she can't live in the house. this is not a real problem, because right now she's in the garage (storage garage only, no cars, with a heater) in a makeshift cage composed of two Critter Nation cages back-to-back, wired together. that makes a 3'x4' square cage, plastic pan bottom, litter box, cardboard box with hay and shredded paper, food, water, one of those treat-kabob things with wood chews and mineral licks. she seems fine. there's also a portable metal pen for her to come out and run around while my sister does her homework after school, so she gets plenty of interaction, even though it has to be in the garage - which is quieter than the house, because of the dogs (terrier mix and dachshund).

i realize this has been kind of long, but i may need some support if it turns out she IS pregnant. i mean, what if the babies would be half-wild? is that possible? she was loose outside. i know the only way to really know for sure is to wait a month and see if babies happen, right? keep the cage clean and keep her fed?

anything else i should know right now?

thanks and i'm looking forward to being part of this forum. what a crazy adventure life can be.

Wow, good luck with the new rabbit. Hopefully she is not pregnant. Welcome to RO! There is all kinds of information here on all sorts of topics :)

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

What a wonderful thing you have done. A very lucky rabbit. How long did it take to get the ticks off? Have you had her checked by a rabbit savvy vet?

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

i don't know how long it took to get the ticks off, because my sister and dad did it while i was at work, but i don't think it took them too long because we're fairly adept at removing ticks - the dogs get them all the time. from what my sister said, she was very calm about the whole thing - just let them remove the ticks and didn't fight it. it's amazing how calm this rabbit is!

we haven't taken her to the vet yet, but i have one i've used for my other pets and they're fairly knowledgeable about small pets. they know me well, i've been taking rats/dogs/cats there for years. i plan to make an appointment soon!

Hah, I know how you feel. My mother, though she's an avid animal lover, would've killed me if I brought home a bun that was pregnant! Good luck! I hope this works out for you, your sister, and your mom!

Latest posts

Back