Wet Nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Lionhead that recently seemed to get sick. He just turned three months old. I noticed he had a little wet nose and one day he had whitish discharge and sounded like he was breathing funny. I then moved him from the other rabbits into my garage. I'm thinking maybe he has snuffles. I've seen him wipe his nose with his paws, but he does not have any crusty paws, runny eyes, nor do I ever hear him sneeze. I got some VetRx and am treating him with it, but I really don't know if that's what it is or not.

I have been noticing ever since this that my Lionhead doe also has a wet nose. I never notice that she sneezes either and she does not seem to have any other symptoms.

I am not rushing these guys to the vet because it's $50 just for the vet to see one of them.

Do you think maybe they have an allergy to the hay? Or do you think snuffles?

Clear discharge can sometimes be caused by an allergy or tooth jproblems, but not white discharge. White discharge is caused by bacteria and would indicate an upper respiratory infection(or snuffles). Vetrx isn't going to do anything for your bun. It needs antibiotics to even have a chance of getting the infection under control, and even then it may never completely go away, so you would need to keep your bun away from your other rabbits, probably for life, as it is highly contagious, and you may have to retreat for it in the future. You need to get your bun to a vet to get checked and get medication. It's possible your doe has it too, but without white discharge or a culture done, it would be hard to know at this point. It would be good to take her to the vet as well, to get checked. A culture and sensitivity will help to determine what bacteria is causing the URI, and what antibiotic would be most effective.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

Last edited:
How do you think he could have got that though? I always keep everything clean. I was wondering if he could have got it from his mom but maybe the symptoms didn't show until now because he is losing his immunity to it. The place where I got him from was not as clean as I would have liked it to be.

It's hard to know where it gets picked up from. If you got him from somewhere else, he could have had it and it was lying dormant until something stressed him, so that now it is surfacing.

Latest posts

Back