wet nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttercup n Charlie

Reaction score
Vet time? Or is there some home remedy I can try first before dishing out a hundred bucks at the vet? Last time her nose was wet she had an upper resp infection and took antibiotics. I might have more of those at home, but don't know if its safe to just use it (although i know dose and course length). Or perhaps it's not even the same issue and I can try other things to see if she gets better before taking her to the vet?

I wouldn't give an antibiotic unless & until I knew it was a bacterial infection. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in the cecum, so I would never want to use an antibiotic, even if prescribed, without an rabbit-safe probiotic on hand to give after the antibiotic.

Has the weather changed there recently from hot to cold or cold to hot? That could be the cause.

If the nose is moist and doesn't have any actual discharge, or if the discharge is clear, I would say she is probably alright. Yours is the final say of course, you know your rabbit best.

Agreed on not using antibiotics unless you know for sure. Aside from the good bacteria killing, they can also build up immunities to the antibiotics which would be awful if she ever actually needs them again.

Back