Wet nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queenadreena

Reaction score
Occasionally, more often than not at the moment, my 9 month old mini lop, Mai, has been waking up with a dirty nose, around the nostrils. As it's winter, I've moved her hutch into the shed, for extra warmth. I know that rabbits can get 'snuffles', which can sometimes be serious if not caught in time. I've been cleaning the dirt off from around her nose with cotton wool (as she doesn't seem to want to wash that area properly) Is it normal for her to be getting a slightly dribbling nose? It's not super wet, just occasionally moist. She seems fine in herself, and is eating, drinking, playing and right now, chattering on my lap :D
Should I be concerned that her nose is dirty, or just keep an eye on her?

When you say dirty nose, is it just a bit damp? No colored discharge, running, snottyetc?

Is Mai having any other symptoms? Sneezing, labored breathing, weepy eyes, crustyfront paws from wiping nose?

When I first got my rabbit, Pebbles, she had a moist nose as well. I think it might have been the change from outside to inside, but I'm not totally sure though. A bit of dampness around the nose is generally not too great of a cause for concern. Pebbles still gets the occasional damp nose when she's been running around lots or stressed.

A moist nose could be caused by when the moisture from her breath condenses on her nose. As long as there's no snot or anything, just bit of moisture, it's probably just that.

For now, I'd just keepa close eye on her. It doesn't seem critical to me, but if you feel its necessary, you could get her looked at by a vet just to make sure.

On occasion,Pebbles would sneeze in bouts of four to fives times, wipingher nose each time.Her nose is wet/moist, but no discharge. I'm just wondering if it is some dustfrom her pellets or hay.

Rainbows! :?

Well, the dirt around her nose is a sort of snotty/brown color, but there's very little of it.It's always dried in the fur, never gloopy (for lack of a better word) I've actually never heard/seen her sneeze since I got her and the only time she breathes heavy is when shes been running around the house. Should I just leave her nose alone, as I know they're sensitive,instead of giving it a wipe? She just doesn't seem to clean it herself and being white, it's really noticeable (don't want her looking dirty for house guests!:))

If it doesn't stress her out, you could probably wipe her nose off with a damp cloth. Just with water though.

It may be that she's getting her nose wet drinking, then she's eating and getting food stuck to it. Or after drinking, getting her nose on the ground, or just picking stuff up with it.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back